Patch 21 - 02/20/15 - Small Patch, Blacksmithing & Polymorph
Hey,

I'll add my 2 cents to this topic.What I believe made t2a the best age to play UO was:

• No trammel/felucca separation:world pvp was great and going out of the guardzone was always risky. Even though I wasn't an active PVPer at the time, it just made playing so much more exciting when you never knew when you'd be attacked.
  • No weird 3rd dawn mobs that broke the immersion due to alack of coherence, they just didn't feel right.
  • The combat mechanics that made PVP abso-freaking-lutely awesome.

I'm not against incorporating user experience changes that came in later UO patches, as long as the3 aspects above are not changed. As a concrete example, these old crafting menus were a case example of really awful UX design (or more likely, an example of what happens when there are no user experience designers in the companyand software engineers just implement UI).

Choice would be fine. I love the new menus, and I would never craft with the old menus.

Rebooted with the following:

• Reverted changes to blacksmithing for now.
  • Reverted changes to the public moongate. This isn't final, I'll probably change the moongate to just be more user friendly (better cycle times) when I have time, which keeps the era feel (and no combat restrictions), while making the moongate a lot more useful.
  • Reverted all changes to bandage cutting.
[Image: jack-sig.png]
Jack,

Thank you for these changes and for being willing to come on and have this discussion with us. It is very much appreciated.

I love being able to cut a stack of bandages!

No worries. Have to head out for the rest of the weekend, have a good weekend!

[Image: jack-sig.png]
My 2 cents. T2A is T2A. Make it accurate!

Woh, I am just reading here that the blacksmithing menu was reverted? I'll keep checking forums until it is back to T2A accurate. Otherwise, not logging in.

Hollow threat I know since I just started last week. But seriously. All this over T2A accuracy on a T2A server? Grow a pair folks.

not so fast blackrock.

UORsucked. it added a bunch of slave items, like bods.

it did FIX the crafting menues. the old t2a menus SUCKED BIG TIME DONKEY DICK.

we want pvp and fel only but not the really bad stuff of t2a.

moongates being useable, cutting stacks of bandages and UOR crafting windows rock. they make the game playable.

do remember that back in the day UO was all we had and those crappy menus were it. took months to gm crafting skills with those old menues. nobody will spend months gming skills today. not gonna happen. too many mmo games out there now. spend 3 weeks gming smith is fine. spending 6 months isnt.

we love the old game and are playing it again. its very nice to not have the pain of the old ways.

GIVE US THE FEEL OF T2A, NOT THE PAIN OF T2A.

Oh Boy! You did signup on a free shard that told you "...authentic T2A experience" on their first page and it have been writen from day one and now you dont want it..... there is aalot ofhybrid servers out there that does not fully support the era.

The leveling issue back then was that before powerhour was added younotdid gain skill gainthen you failedto craft a item and the use of a skill pool on every server. then we gotpowerhour in LBR with later was removed and replaced with gain on fail all time (24h powerhour).Witch is standard setting in RunUO and we are using here now.

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_4

UOExtram did handle old menus back then and so does razor today.

Here is the skill documentation from stratics in you are intrested in how it worked.

http://web.archive.org/web/1999100322133...tatcap.htm

-------

Welcome all to UO Lost Lands

Experience the golden era of Ultima Online : The Second Age

UO:Lost Lands is a free Ultima Online shard set in The Second Age (T2A) era and is now LIVE. Our staff are experienced UO veterans dedicated to delivering a high quality shard. We have a strong passion for the game and feel T2A was the golden age of Ultima Online. We're currently working around the clock to make UO Lost Lands feel and play like an authentic T2A experience.

Randbo, we are not talking about MMOs today. If you are here because this appears to be your better overall option to modern MMOs, then you are in the wrong place. People chose T2A because it represents something that modern MMOs do not have.

The skillgain here is accurate to T2A, at least that I have seen in Blacksmithing. The menu navigation time is only a fraction more with a Razer macro, and doesn't require preselection of the resource type.

Now I will fully admit that I like the UOR crafting menus. But the old style menus bring into my heart that wonderful nostalgia, and I would rather have them on a server which says "T2A".

Grimoric, nice to see someone agree with me!

Good to see you are still around Grim. T2a experience is different for different folks. This is also on the website.

First and foremost, our shard will be focusing on making our mechanics as accurate to the era as possible. We pay very close attention to detail, to give the shard an authentic "feel". However, we feel sometimes era accuracy can go too far, and will take player enjoyment into consideration when dealing with T2A accurate bugs and exploits.

No where does it claim to be 100% accurate. Mechanics accurate yes most definitely. Authentic feel again that is what I think most want. Era accuracy can go too far, indeed it can. No where does it say anything about added content that does not change feel or mechanics. And these debates and discussions can settle that issue now once and for all going forward. Most here know of the other t2a server that claims 100% accurate though many have pointed out and proved errors and they just look the other way. That server shows 200 plus online yet good luck finding anyone. Their last tourney had a field of 13. Boredom and same ole same ole is what does it. I like this server and the events and hope it continues therecent growth trend. I just want there to be enough to keep those coming now to stick around a while until I get good enough to kill some of them(which could take years).

I am only playing devils advocate here and speaking for those who are no longer here and some things they would have liked to see. Most all of this has been brought up in the irc room from time to time.

I don't know really what mobs are on uor other than arctic ogre lords but don't see how having them to hunt would change mechanics or feel.

Growing plants. until it was brought up in irc I didn't even know it was possible and don't know anything about it. However if the plants are different then on plat rewards and people like it then no biggie. If they are the same plants then implemeintg them could throw aspects of the economy out of whack.

Fishing nets again these were new to me. But how does a fisherman having to use provoke and kill a kraken to get a mib change the feel or mechanics vs just killing a deep sea serpent.

Bods I am not afan of these and think they could mess with economy depending on rewards, but crafting folks like them. If a system were in I would still play just wouldn't be bothered with the bods myself.

Uor housing. I don't really care and don't think they would hurt but I would not personally place any, but again people have different preferences. Won't change mechanics or the feel I don't think and if it keeps one more player active then I won't oppose. I think this is the single most brought up item.

Ancient liches and such on a rare spawn timer, again it doesn't change anything other than pvmers game play fun and gives a spot for pks to hunt.

New menus if Jack can put in a choice then why not my personal choice would be old, but I see no harm for those that want new.

Moongates I prefer the bounce, it isjust they are way off on this server and can be fixed so they are only a slight pain in ass. If menu driven then restrictions on aggressors and stuff go in and that changes mechanics.

sorry for long post. I am here for the long haul myself either way. But these discussions and debates are good to have especially early on in server life.