Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie questions
Hello Lost Lands!

Brand new to this server (yesterday), and I'm really enjoying myself so far. I haven't played UO in several years. I played IPY a long time ago, and before that OSI offical on Great Lakes from 1997 to 2001 or so. A lot of great memories from the era that Lost Lands is trying to capture.

I'm very rusty, and was wondering about a couple things that I couldn't find a reference for:

1) Are spellbooks newbied or blessed or whatever it's called these days? Worried about getting a full spellbook and losing it quickly on death. Or is only the default spellbook for a magery character newbied (or even is that?)?

2) I see that there are some things that are newbied, like instruments for bards. I made a bard, but didn't like the instrument I got. I'm invested in this character already and don't want to reroll and try for a different instrument with this character. Can I do it on other characters and trade the newbied instrument to my main bard and have it still last through death?

3) Do NPC magic shops sell higher level scrolls? Player vendors I've seen all sell bulk popular scrolls, not just 1 of a kind to help flesh out my spellbook for the time being, while I'm broke.

4) Any good rune libraries around? Trying to get to places like Nu'jelm, Occlo, and Wind!

Thanks for any help, and this is a fun server so far!
Jack and Rapture like this post
Hi mate,

1) Spellbooks are always blessed, even the store-bought ones.
2) Yes you can trade the items. Any item that is newbied/blessed on one character will also be the same on another character. The only exception is that reds lose newbied items when they die, but they keep blessed items. Since reds don't lose their spellbooks, I believe that means they are called "blessed," while instruments, clothing, etc. are called "newbied."
3) NPC mages will only sell to level 3 I believe (might sell higher if a player has sold them higher scrolls recently). If you're keen to just buy a few scrolls to fill in your spellbook yourself, just pm me which ones you want to buy. Otherwise, I have full spellbooks for just under 4k at the vendor named "Velika" beside Yew public moongate.
4) There's a great rune library at Yew bank. It's in the big tower to the north east corner.

Welcome and enjoy Big Grin Join us in discord for real-time chat if you like
Jack likes this post
Veranis: Who's brokering the deed fight @Brutal ?
Elk: How much are you betting and what are the rules
Brutal: patio deed
Brutal: Blitz can broker, i dont trust elk
Elk: it's time for me to cash in all my non-scamming years
Elk: And steal a patio deed
(04-24-2016, 02:57 AM)Zoose Wrote: Hello Lost Lands!

Brand new to this server (yesterday), and I'm really enjoying myself so far.  I haven't played UO in several years.  I played IPY a long time ago, and before that OSI offical on Great Lakes from 1997 to 2001 or so.  A lot of great memories from the era that Lost Lands is trying to capture.

I'm very rusty, and was wondering about a couple things that I couldn't find a reference for:

1)  Are spellbooks newbied or blessed or whatever it's called these days?  Worried about getting a full spellbook and losing it quickly on death.  Or is only the default spellbook for a magery character newbied (or even is that?)?

2)  I see that there are some things that are newbied, like instruments for bards.  I made a bard, but didn't like the instrument I got.  I'm invested in this character already and don't want to reroll and try for a different instrument with this character.  Can I do it on other characters and trade the newbied instrument to my main bard and have it still last through death?

3)  Do NPC magic shops sell higher level scrolls?  Player vendors I've seen all sell bulk popular scrolls, not just 1 of a kind to help flesh out my spellbook for the time being, while I'm broke.

4)  Any good rune libraries around?  Trying to get to places like Nu'jelm, Occlo, and Wind!

Welcome to the shard..

Just a note: To enter Wind you need to comply with at least 70 magery..
Rapture likes this post
Music is in our Souls, Use it wisely.
(04-24-2016, 02:57 AM)Zoose Wrote: Hello Lost Lands!

Brand new to this server (yesterday), and I'm really enjoying myself so far.  I haven't played UO in several years.  I played IPY a long time ago, and before that OSI offical on Great Lakes from 1997 to 2001 or so.  A lot of great memories from the era that Lost Lands is trying to capture.

1)  Are spellbooks newbied or blessed or whatever it's called these days?  Worried about getting a full spellbook and losing it quickly on death.  Or is only the default spellbook for a magery character newbied (or even is that?)?

2)  I see that there are some things that are newbied, like instruments for bards.  I made a bard, but didn't like the instrument I got.  I'm invested in this character already and don't want to reroll and try for a different instrument with this character.  Can I do it on other characters and trade the newbied instrument to my main bard and have it still last through death?

3)  Do NPC magic shops sell higher level scrolls?  Player vendors I've seen all sell bulk popular scrolls, not just 1 of a kind to help flesh out my spellbook for the time being, while I'm broke.

4)  Any good rune libraries around?  Trying to get to places like Nu'jelm, Occlo, and Wind!

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.  I can help with starting gold, items, whatever.  I will also eliminate a problem target for the fee of 1gp.
Apoc[PEE] - Today at 4:10 PM
if i was near you i'd bang you the fk out
The easy way is to buy a full spell book. I highly recommend it. Now that I have a nest egg I never bother with picking up scrolls unless it’s 8th circle. Those summon daemon scrolls come in handy at town invasions.
When I began I bought my first full spell book, but then I used liches to fill the rest of my spell books. It’s been a while but I think I got everything but 8th circle from them. I relied on lvl 4 dungeon chests and high level mobs to fill out the spells I couldn’t get from liches. It is definitely the harder path, but you are earning good income the whole time.

I do have a very unprofitable side business that may be of interest to you as well (https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=833).
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
Welcome to the server Zoose! Smile