Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purple potion timer changes
It has come to my attention that there may currently be purple potion timer changes on the agenda. From what I've heard, the plan is to double the purple potion throw window from the current narrow & challenging 0.25 second window up to a wider much easier 0.5 second window. I believe this change would not be good for the damage balance in PVP and would make it much too easy to successfully throw purple pots, thereby making them somewhat overpowering, since there would much less risk involved with each potion chucked.

I wanted to get the shard's general opinion on the topic. Would you be in support of making the window twice as large, or do you prefer that we keep it the way it is with a smaller, more difficult window to hit? Many of us who have spent a lot of time practicing throwing potions to get better at it feel it would be a shame that that work go to waste, and also fear that with the increased window, purples will become too large a part of most fights.

Please share your thoughts on the matter in this thread, thanks!
Wiz Kid and HateCrime like this post
Veranis: Who's brokering the deed fight @Brutal ?
Elk: How much are you betting and what are the rules
Brutal: patio deed
Brutal: Blitz can broker, i dont trust elk
Elk: it's time for me to cash in all my non-scamming years
Elk: And steal a patio deed
I completely agree!
[Image: wizkidsig.png]
I have mixed feelings. I like that it's more difficult because it requires more skill. With that being said, it alienates anyone who's trying to be competitive but hasn't learned this yet. Open it up, it won't affect those who know how to throw them already, but it will benefit those who are trying to learn.
Apoc[PEE] - Today at 4:10 PM
if i was near you i'd bang you the fk out
I agree 100% with Veranis

The timer is not terribly difficult as it is right now.
Just buy some mage shop purple potions and practice tossing them at something. (store bought purples are very cheap)

The challenge of learning to use them properly makes it that much more worthwhile to use during a fight
Wiz Kid likes this post
(04-13-2016, 08:41 PM)Rapture Wrote: I have mixed feelings.  I like that it's more difficult because it requires more skill.  With that being said, it alienates anyone who's trying to be competitive but hasn't learned this yet.  Open it up, it won't affect those who know how to throw them already, but it will benefit those who are trying to learn.

I don't really see how this alienates a player any more than learning to cycle a hally, learning to time greater heals, or even the week it takes to build a 7x toon alienates them. I think the players who have mastered the skill deserve the edge it gives them (and I'm far, far from a master at them, and I still think this Big Grin ).
Cheerios likes this post
Veranis: Who's brokering the deed fight @Brutal ?
Elk: How much are you betting and what are the rules
Brutal: patio deed
Brutal: Blitz can broker, i dont trust elk
Elk: it's time for me to cash in all my non-scamming years
Elk: And steal a patio deed
I guess I can lean that way. This should only take an hour or so to learn if you sit and do it.
^

I like where the purple potion timer is at in the same way I like that mini heals are delayed. Easier to mess up. Easier to die.
[Image: wizkidsig.png]
(04-13-2016, 08:41 PM)Rapture Wrote: I have mixed feelings. I like that it's more difficult because it requires more skill. With that being said, it alienates anyone who's trying to be competitive but hasn't learned this yet. Open it up, it won't affect those who know how to throw them already, but it will benefit those who are trying to learn.

This has always been my concern with the current timer, and also the "stop to refresh hally" timer here. Both make PvP a bit more difficult for new players.
[Image: jack-sig.png]
(04-13-2016, 09:50 PM)Jack Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 08:41 PM)Rapture Wrote: I have mixed feelings.  I like that it's more difficult because it requires more skill.  With that being said, it alienates anyone who's trying to be competitive but hasn't learned this yet.  Open it up, it won't affect those who know how to throw them already, but it will benefit those who are trying to learn.

This has always been my concern with the current timer, and also the "stop to refresh hally" timer here. Both make PvP a bit more difficult for new players.

The "stop to refresh hally" timer is significantly more difficult than the purple timer.  It's simple in a ring setting, but if you get put in a field situation vs a dexxer, it makes finding your swing incredibly hard.
I really enjoy how the hally timer and purple timer work.
Both are not that hard to learn but are hard enough to require a little bit of practice to compete with the others that have practiced the mechanics.

I especially like the purple timer, as it is right now makes it a more viable option for disrupting greater heals and such