Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone remember if T2A era deep sea serpents are supposed to make leather?
Sea serpents are producing 20 pieces of leather, but deep sea serpents are making one single piece of meat, and no leather.

no deep sea serpents were put in just for mibs when they changed fishing

Thanks! Also I mis-spoke. Sea serpents make ten, not twenty.

According to the T2A hunter's guide, both of these should give 10 raw ribs when carved, and no leather.

Also to note, according to the hunter's guide, Sea Serpents have the ability to cast spells (which they do here - with 0 magery). Deep Sea Serpents should "go back underwater" unless they are engaged, which likely means they are deleted after a few minutes when they have no combatant. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but I will make a note of it for something to look into.
[Image: jack-sig.png]
Does that mean deep sea serpents should only appear when fished up? I see many out on the water roaming around as I sail. I'd say it's roughly equal parts regular sea serpents and deep sea serpents with the occasional water elemental or dolphin.

It seems like it should be that way from Stratics, might be worth a deeper look before making such a change though. The SeaLife spawners here have an equal chance to spawn either type, right now.

http://web.archive.org/web/2000011909504...pserp.html

Oh yeah, there are a lot of sea serpents AND deep sea serpents out on the water. I'd love to kill them if they were worth killing, but they're not unless they're fished up.

Deeps were only fished up with a map or mib and at some point the regular sea serpents were given minor gold like 70-80 and an occasional magic item.

Some patch notes from 1999, not sure how many apply here:

<ul style="list-style-typeConfusedquare">
[*]<b>Fishing:</b>
  • All special items found from fishing can only be found in deep water.
  • Other than boots, special items such as treasure maps, SOS's, and magical fish are more rare.
  • When fish aren't biting, skill doesn't increase.
  • If you are hidden, fishing will now unhide you.
[/list]
[/list]

[*]<b>Fishing</b>

• Fishing has received a major overhaul. There are yet more changes planned for fishing in future updates.
  • Based on your skill level, you now have a chance of pulling up the following (listed in increasing difficulty order)
      • One of any of several types of boots
      • Fish, as always
      • Magical fish, which can boost stamina, strength, intelligence, or dexterity.
      • Treasure maps
      • Messages in bottles
      • Sea serpents (on failure)
      • Deep sea serpents (on failure, and if deep in the ocean)
  • Fishing for sunken treasure:
      • Double-clicking on a message in a bottle will extract a waterstained SOS.
      • The SOS will have sextant coordinates on it which will be somewhere in the ocean.
      • Fishing at the location given will try to recover the sunken treasure, as long as the SOS is at the top level of your backpack. You may recover bones, artifacts from the sunken ship, or the treasure itself.
      • You can keep fishing until you get the treasure, at which point the message disappears.
[/list]
[/list]

[*]<b>Sea Serpents:</b>
  • Sea Serpents can only be found in really deep water.
  • A small percentage of Sea Serpents will be Deep-Sea Serpents.
  • Sea Serpents will return to deep water after 5 minutes if not attacked.
  • Sea Serpents will now immediately attack the fisherman that brought them from the deep.
[/list]
[/list]

You will once again be able to fish up magic fish and boots from shore.

Post UO:R

Fishing

• Fishermen at over 80 skill will have a chance to pull up a sea serpent regardless of whether they succeed or fail at fishing when in deep sea.
  • Every time you successfully fish up a treasure map or SOS bottle a sea serpent will surface and attack. The treasure map or SOS bottle will be on the serpents corpse. Sea serpents that are pulled up through normal fishing that did not result in a treasure map or SOS bottle will not have these items on them. Only the sea serpents that are pulled up because of a treasure map or SOS bottle will have them on their corpse.
Currently here:

• Skill doesn't increase if the fish are not biting.
  • Boots/sandals/shoes/magic fish can be fished up from docks.
  • Fishing does not unhide you.
  • Treasure maps/MIBs only found on serpents that are fished up. SS or DSS that are encountered simply sailing around do not have any treasure. SS can be cut up for ten pieces of leather, while DSS only provide a single cut of ribs.