Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craft Off Events?
Exclamation 
Hey all,

I would like to gauge the general interest level in having a "craft off" type event, perhaps yearly even where rewards will be given to the top finishers (haven't decided if top 3 or whatever yet) I am considering a contest for who can make the fastest spellbook (for scribes), who can make the quickest keg (for alchemists).. you get the idea.  Please let me know what the interest level is and if sufficient, maybe we can hold our first annual "whatever" contest this weekend.

Darwin
Veranis, Greta, Jack like this post
I think it's a cool idea, but you risk rewarding the person with the best macroSmile

if you get the timing down really well a macro is considerably faster than a natural human clicking. At least faster than this human, heh heh. I'd consider doing it with exceptional BOD's. It wouldn't be macro driven as luck would play a much larger role. Give the blacksmith a 6 part exceptional plate BOD, with the requisite small BOD's. The first one to fill the full order wins. It will take more than a few well honed macros to win then. Don't announce the actual large BOD ahead of time and you'll have a much better representation of skill.

It won't work for all crafting skills since BOD's don't exist for all. You can simulate a BOD by having the players complete a set of different tasks. I can whip out kegs pretty efficiently, but throw in some scales, explosion traps, and spyglasses and it's likely to have a different ending.
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
(02-25-2016, 02:33 PM)Varak Wrote: I think it's a cool idea, but you risk rewarding the person with the best macroSmile

if you get the timing down really well a macro is considerably faster than a natural human clicking. At least faster than this human, heh heh. I'd consider doing it with exceptional BOD's. It wouldn't be macro driven as luck would play a much larger role. Give the blacksmith a 6 part exceptional plate BOD, with the requisite small BOD's. The first one to fill the full order wins. It will take more than a few well honed macros to win then. Don't announce the actual large BOD ahead of time and you'll have a much better representation of skill.

It won't work for all crafting skills since BOD's don't exist for all. You can simulate a BOD by having the players complete a set of different tasks. I can whip out kegs pretty efficiently, but throw in some scales, explosion traps, and spyglasses and it's likely to have a different ending.

The BOD idea is a pretty good idea.  What I was thinking in particular (for example) how many exceptional plate pieces can one make using a regular smith hammer.. that sort of thing.  Or how many level 8 scrolls can one do in a minute..  Sure macros play a part but so does the random number generator..  I'll keep brainstorming.  Keep the ideas coming!
reward the crafter with the most items crafted under duress. ie, during a spawn of random mobs with materials scattered around the arena. I know this makes you have to create a special arena but it would be fun to see. Imagine having to gather materials too. One spot for mining, the other for lumber etc. No way someone would be able to cheat and macro then.

Oh and make it red friendly xD
Leon likes this post
Now that gives me ideas Isis Smile
That would be pretty fun making your own weapons and armor on the run, heh heh.

I need a chain tunic or I'm gonna die!

I think most crafters don't have much beyond rudimentary fighting skills though. In a graveyard with weaker stuff like skeletons and such would work. One mausoleum might have a burning cauldron to act as a forge, etc. Maybe some rats that drop leather or were-creatures so tailors can get some hides for armor, some random dead wood so a carpenter can make a Qtsaff. Regs for the alchemist to make heal, cure, poison, exp pots.

You could also reuse it during Halloween for some special events. Change the monsters out for tougher stuff like the undead TI and let everyone in.
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage