Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free House Rentals for New Players
The purpose of this passion project is to give new players a chance to get established. It’s a tough game to get started on, and you usually don’t have any room for error. The overriding goal is to ease that transition into the game to turn short term players into long term contributors. With that in mind I’ve set up “Nottalotta Acres”. Currently there are four rental properties, but expansion is possible depending on interest/funds as there is plenty of space. Contact me in game or on the forums and I’ll get you set up.

The location for this build is just North of the Northernmost Yew Sheep pen. The reason for the location is the ease of access to early starting cash (sheering sheep in the pen and turning it into cloth, Lots of tree’s nearby for lumberjacking/bow making as well). It’s very close to the town boundary, so you should be pretty safe from PK’s. If you see one just run west or South a few steps and call for the guards. The best shopping district on the shard is a few screens North around the Yew Bank. The moon gates allow you to get in between towns fairly easily. It is two screens North and one screen East. This specific location does not have good access to town shops/ training NPC’s but the moongate should help you move around between cities until you get some magery.

The main value of having a house early are:
1.       You can macro safely so you can get your characters running a bit faster.
2.       It allows for the storage and transfer of goods between accounts/characters. You’ll probably transfer and store a lot at the beginning as your characters are constantly working/supporting each other.
3.       Since you will likely be living within close proximity of other new players, hopefully some early friendships and hunting buddies can form.
4.       House add-ons – being able to make cloth in your house or smelt ore can be very convenient. If you need a specific add-on just let me know what you need and I’ll set the house up as needed.

The rules are pretty simple:
1.       Keep the house refreshed.
2.       You need to have a forum account. You need to send me a PM so I have your forum name on file.
3.       If the house goes greatly worn twice, you will be contacted via forum account. If you don’t respond in 7 days, you will be removed from the house, and your goods will be given away to other needy players.
4.       Those 3 rules are there strictly to protect my investment. I’m not a rich man. I can’t afford to lose a house deed every time a player quits playing. Keeping the house refreshed shouldn’t be a problem for those who play once a week or more. 
5.       You will be co-owned on the structure, but will never be able to fully own it. I want to keep the units together. No worries though. There is lots of open land nearby. If you like the area a lot you can simply build your own house when you have the funds.
6.       The free rental is for a period of three months. It’s meant to help you get on your feet, not to be permanent housing.  When the three month mark hits, I’ll contact you via forum and we will work together on a move date and logistics. You might want an extra month, and that’s cool. Just keep in touch.
7.       You are responsible for all the goods in the house. If you leave the door unlocked, it’s not my fault. If you friended someone and they cleaned you out, it isn’t my fault. Just be smart about locking doors and don’t friend people and there shouldn’t be any property loss.
8.       You can’t have a red (murderer) staying in the house. It’s intended to be a fairly risk free place to live. I can’t have one of the tenants hunting new players staying in the other houses.

Honestly, just keep the house refreshed and stay in contact via forums and everything should run pretty smoothly. I’m pretty easy to get along with, and I’m always trying to help. As long as I know you are still around, I’m pretty flexible on most things.

For all the PK’s out there, please don’t make this a target. The more people play the shard, the more targets you will have. The longer they play the shard, the better loot they will carry and the more times you get to kill them. Let them get established a bit to grow the shard. The more targets the better and this project’s goal is to provide more targets, heh heh.  It’s in everyone’s best interest from the shopkeeper to the PK to ease players into this harsh game.

Here is a link to a quick start guide that might help you get rolling in the first few hours of playing:
https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=783

Here’s a link to a guide I wrote on making money with tailoring since the sheep are literally just outside your door:
https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=762

For lumberjacking, all the trees are mostly oriented in a north/south direction. You can run N/S for miles and not hit anything in certain spots. I wrote a macro that always lumbers the east side of a tree (using target relative location), and processes the wood into boards when you hit a weight of 380 stones. Basically you just line up and run south/North and hit each tree without having to click a button until you need to unload. The only trick is you need the hatchet in hand and you need it targeted for the first double click (and also the double click in the weight section). Basically you are telling the game what specific hatchet is to be used for both actions. Here’s the lumberjacking macro if you choose the lumberjack/bowyer route:

!Loop
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1074757907|3907
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
Assistant.Macros.TargetRelLocAction|-1|0
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|not enough
Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|157|move you bastard
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.1000000
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|5|1|380
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.2000000
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|7133
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.5000000

The main drawback to having me run this show is I’m not always easy to reach. You can find me as Varak on the forums and discord. I typically play 5:30-6:30 PM CDT during the week. Tuesdays and Thursdays I are my “dedicated” days and I am often on until 9 pm or later. Weekends are a crapshoot. I’ll log on for 10 minutes at a time multiple times a day. So as long as you send me a PM in discord, I can get what you need in about an hour or so.

The vets can send me people my way if you run across someone needing help. If I’m not on and a vet wants to help out, feel free to drop a house and send me the person’s forum name. I’ll do all the management for you and let you know if/when the house needs pulled up or a new tenant.  If other vets want to help out in this endeavor, there are lots of ways to get involved:

1.       Each house could use a runebook to all the towns
2.       Ditto for dungeons, outdoor spawn, etc
3.       You can provide a couple house add-on deeds
4.       You can set up some gift bags (money, recall/mark scrolls, spell books, armor, weapons, regs, etc)
5.       You can set down houses of your own once the main units are rented.
6.       We can collaborate on the management duties, but I would need to really trust youJ
7.       We could have someone else run a second location (the green strip west of brit graveyard, etc)

The rental units are placed, but the doors won’t officially start until 2/19. The wife is in Arizona this week, so I don’t have any free time until she gets back, heh heh. The delay also gives other vets a chance to get involved if they wish prior to the grand opening of Notta Lotta Acres.
Veranis, Santorum, Blyth And 2 others like this post
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
(02-17-2016, 04:27 PM)Varak Wrote: The purpose of this passion project is to give new players a chance to get established. It’s a tough game to get started on, and you usually don’t have any room for error. The overriding goal is to ease that transition into the game to turn short term players into long term contributors. With that in mind I’ve set up “Nottalotta Acres”. Currently there are four rental properties, but expansion is possible depending on interest/funds as there is plenty of space. Contact me in game or on the forums and I’ll get you set up.

The location for this build is just North of the Northernmost Yew Sheep pen. The reason for the location is the ease of access to early starting cash (sheering sheep in the pen and turning it into cloth, Lots of tree’s nearby for lumberjacking/bow making as well). It’s very close to the town boundary, so you should be pretty safe from PK’s. If you see one just run west or South a few steps and call for the guards. The best shopping district on the shard is a few screens North around the Yew Bank. The moon gates allow you to get in between towns fairly easily. It is two screens North and one screen East. This specific location does not have good access to town shops/ training NPC’s but the moongate should help you move around between cities until you get some magery.

The main value of having a house early are:
1.       You can macro safely so you can get your characters running a bit faster.
2.       It allows for the storage and transfer of goods between accounts/characters. You’ll probably transfer and store a lot at the beginning as your characters are constantly working/supporting each other.
3.       Since you will likely be living within close proximity of other new players, hopefully some early friendships and hunting buddies can form.
4.       House add-ons – being able to make cloth in your house or smelt ore can be very convenient. If you need a specific add-on just let me know what you need and I’ll set the house up as needed.

The rules are pretty simple:
1.       Keep the house refreshed.
2.       You need to have a forum account. You need to send me a PM so I have your forum name on file.
3.       If the house goes greatly worn twice, you will be contacted via forum account. If you don’t respond in 7 days, you will be removed from the house, and your goods will be given away to other needy players.
4.       Those 3 rules are there strictly to protect my investment. I’m not a rich man. I can’t afford to lose a house deed every time a player quits playing. Keeping the house refreshed shouldn’t be a problem for those who play once a week or more. 
5.       You will be co-owned on the structure, but will never be able to fully own it. I want to keep the units together. No worries though. There is lots of open land nearby. If you like the area a lot you can simply build your own house when you have the funds.
6.       The free rental is for a period of three months. It’s meant to help you get on your feet, not to be permanent housing.  When the three month mark hits, I’ll contact you via forum and we will work together on a move date and logistics. You might want an extra month, and that’s cool. Just keep in touch.
7.       You are responsible for all the goods in the house. If you leave the door unlocked, it’s not my fault. If you friended someone and they cleaned you out, it isn’t my fault. Just be smart about locking doors and don’t friend people and there shouldn’t be any property loss.
8.       You can’t have a red (murderer) staying in the house. It’s intended to be a fairly risk free place to live. I can’t have one of the tenants hunting new players staying in the other houses.

Honestly, just keep the house refreshed and stay in contact via forums and everything should run pretty smoothly. I’m pretty easy to get along with, and I’m always trying to help. As long as I know you are still around, I’m pretty flexible on most things.

For all the PK’s out there, please don’t make this a target. The more people play the shard, the more targets you will have. The longer they play the shard, the better loot they will carry and the more times you get to kill them. Let them get established a bit to grow the shard. The more targets the better and this project’s goal is to provide more targets, heh heh.  It’s in everyone’s best interest from the shopkeeper to the PK to ease players into this harsh game.

Here is a link to a quick start guide that might help you get rolling in the first few hours of playing:
https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=783

Here’s a link to a guide I wrote on making money with tailoring since the sheep are literally just outside your door:
https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=762

For lumberjacking, all the trees are mostly oriented in a north/south direction. You can run N/S for miles and not hit anything in certain spots. I wrote a macro that always lumbers the east side of a tree (using target relative location), and processes the wood into boards when you hit a weight of 380 stones. Basically you just line up and run south/North and hit each tree without having to click a button until you need to unload. The only trick is you need the hatchet in hand and you need it targeted for the first double click (and also the double click in the weight section). Basically you are telling the game what specific hatchet is to be used for both actions. Here’s the lumberjacking macro if you choose the lumberjack/bowyer route:

!Loop
Assistant.Macros.TargetRelLocAction|-1|0
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|not enough
Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|157|move you bastard
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.1000000
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|5|1|380
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.2000000
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|7133
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.5000000

The main drawback to having me run this show is I’m not always easy to reach. You can find me as Varak on the forums and discord. I typically play 5:30-6:30 PM CDT during the week. Tuesdays and Thursdays I are my “dedicated” days and I am often on until 9 pm or later. Weekends are a crapshoot. I’ll log on for 10 minutes at a time multiple times a day. So as long as you send me a PM in discord, I can get what you need in about an hour or so.

The vets can send me people my way if you run across someone needing help. If I’m not on and a vet wants to help out, feel free to drop a house and send me the person’s forum name. I’ll do all the management for you and let you know if/when the house needs pulled up or a new tenant.  If other vets want to help out in this endeavor, there are lots of ways to get involved:

1.       Each house could use a runebook to all the towns
2.       Ditto for dungeons, outdoor spawn, etc
3.       You can provide a couple house add-on deeds
4.       You can set up some gift bags (money, recall/mark scrolls, spell books, armor, weapons, regs, etc)
5.       You can set down houses of your own once the main units are rented.
6.       We can collaborate on the management duties, but I would need to really trust youJ
7.       We could have someone else run a second location (the green strip west of brit graveyard, etc)

The rental units are placed, but the doors won’t officially start until 2/19. The wife is in Arizona this week, so I don’t have any free time until she gets back, heh heh. The delay also gives other vets a chance to get involved if they wish prior to the grand opening of Notta Lotta Acres.

Dope!
Lotta Notta Acres is officially open for business.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

- Emma Lazurus
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
Great service for new players Smile
Isis likes this post