Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi. I'm Jamirus and I have a few questions.
Hi guys,

I'm Jamirus and I've been a fan of Ultima Online since my teenage years. I've never really played on the original servers, but I did play a few different shards here and there. Unfortunately, I have not played UO in quite a long time.

I've been looking around and found UOLL and I must say, the site is very impressive. Love the statistics posted!

Currently I don't have a working PC at home, but I'm hoping to change that soon so I can get on and play.

I do have a few questions, though.

I used to love crafting, so I have some questions on those.

1. How useful are the crafts? Can you make shard unique items? What are some of the higher demand items?

2. Follow-up. Are skills like Cooking, Inscription, Fletching and Tailoring useful to GM? Anything in particular you can make with these that are interesting / unique or sought after?

3. How about the resource gathering professions? I'm sure you can collect maps with Fishing, but what about Mining and Lumberjack? Are there any unique ores or wood you can get from them? Is there any benefits to getting either of these up to GM?

4. How's the PK scene? As a crafter, I would constantly worry about recalling into a murderer, or having someone camp my house. I've chatted a little so far and everyone I've talked with seems very nice.

5. Do most people utilize all three accounts, or do people usually stick to their mains? I like seeing familiar faces, but the idea of 1 person having up to 15 characters seems a little overwhelming. Also, I don't know if I would enjoy taking advantage of creating multiple characters on multiple accounts. Would I be at a disadvantage if I didn't create a dexxer, bard and crafter right off the bat and simultaneously play them?

6. Is there a newbie dungeon or any other unique areas?

7. Is there a place where I can see prices of items? That way I can calculate what's good to sell and what isn't.

8. Are there any universaly regarded useless skills?

Forgive me for any spelling errors and thank you for taking the time to read and answer any of my questions. Looking forward to playing some Ultima Online again!
(02-16-2016, 07:49 PM)Jamirus Wrote: Hi guys,

I'm Jamirus and I've been a fan of Ultima Online since my teenage years. I've never really played on the original servers, but I did play a few different shards here and there. Unfortunately, I have not played UO in quite a long time.

I've been looking around and found UOLL and I must say, the site is very impressive. Love the statistics posted!

Currently I don't have a working PC at home, but I'm hoping to change that soon so I can get on and play.

I do have a few questions, though.

I used to love crafting, so I have some questions on those.

1. How useful are the crafts? Can you make shard unique items? What are some of the higher demand items?

2. Follow-up. Are skills like Cooking, Inscription, Fletching and Tailoring useful to GM? Anything in particular you can make with these that are interesting / unique or sought after?

3. How about the resource gathering professions? I'm sure you can collect maps with Fishing, but what about Mining and Lumberjack? Are there any unique ores or wood you can get from them? Is there any benefits to getting either of these up to GM?

4. How's the PK scene? As a crafter, I would constantly worry about recalling into a murderer, or having someone camp my house. I've chatted a little so far and everyone I've talked with seems very nice.

5. Do most people utilize all three accounts, or do people usually stick to their mains? I like seeing familiar faces, but the idea of 1 person having up to 15 characters seems a little overwhelming. Also, I don't know if I would enjoy taking advantage of creating multiple characters on multiple accounts. Would I be at a disadvantage if I didn't create a dexxer, bard and crafter right off the bat and simultaneously play them?

6. Is there a newbie dungeon or any other unique areas?

7. Is there a place where I can see prices of items? That way I can calculate what's good to sell and what isn't.

8. Are there any universaly regarded useless skills?

Forgive me for any spelling errors and thank you for taking the time to read and answer any of my questions. Looking forward to playing some Ultima Online again!

Welcome to UOLL Jamirus. I am Isis, a fellow crafter such as yourself. Perhaps I can answer a few of these ?'s. I am sure other people will be along shortly to help you too.

1. I am not to sure about being able to make unique items, however I do know that you can do bods and lbods for unique items. The most popular items seem to be tailor based bod items such as cloth and cbds. As for normal crafted items, anything pvp related (swords and archery) from what I see.

2. Inscription is always a plus for selling full spellbooks (currently about 4k each). Tailoring eh, idk, I gmed tailoring myself but don't really use it much. Most just get it high enough to do bods.

3. Yes you can get mibs from sea serps here, as for mining, there always many different varieties of colored ore. Nothing special about LJing though.

4. The pk scene is pretty relaxed. My first few weeks here farming, I was pked maybe 3-4 times but also ressed and not griefed. Mostly the widely traveled spots for pvm is where they hit.

5. Yes, everyone uses 3 accounts and I find it very helpful.

6. Not sure about that. Maybe someone can answer that ?

7. If you visit the UOLL discord channel maybe players will be willing to help you figure out prices for specific items.

8. Taste id comes to mind, and begging. Also camping, it's just used to build up stats quickly.
Magnesium likes this post
1. Tailor BOD’s and Blacksmith BOD’s have some good stuff. Lots of cool house decorations can be earned, you can get special color cloth that isnt available in the normal dye tub, etc.

2. All skills are useful to a certain point. If you have a stack of 6,000 fish from your fisherman, having cooking helps to feed everyone☺ otherwise there’s really no use for it. Inscription you typically want to GM. At GM you won’t fail making anything 6th or below, 7th circle would have a 75% success rate and 8th a 50% success rate. Mid 70’s tailor is good for selling BOD’s. If you want to finish BOD’s yourself or make GM leather armor you should finish it.

3. Maps and MIB’s from fishing. You have 8 colors of ores you can mine. The ores only differ in color, they have no special properties.

4. I’ve done more than a few town invasions with reds running around next to you with no harm done. Like what was said above. When I did get PK’d I got a rez and a smile which is about perfect in my book.

5. Having three accounts really helps early on. Let’s say you want to train magery and resist by casting damage spells onto yourself. It’s very expensive to cast Gheal and it’s only a 4th level spell so you would essentially be “wasting” mana if you were in you 60’s trying to ebolt yourself. Instead you could have a second account with a scrub 50 heal/50 anatomy healer doing the healing at 1-2 GP per bandage. That’s fairly boring to watch, so while those two guys are chlling in the house you can hop on the third account and taunt dragons into killing each other. If you like boring you could grab a third account the cast additional damage spells onto the first character to gain resistance even faster. At the beginning you’ve usually got one or two accounts tied up doing boring stuff. The third account isn’t necessary, but it does help.

6. If you are fresh on the server the local graveyard is a good spot to start out. They drop bone armor which is pretty good protection for a new player. Wrong is considered a newbie dungeon, but I like Shame level 1 better. Shame level one has scorpions, so you need to be able to cure the poison in some way (bandages, magic, or potion) to be successful there. What you want early is to avoid ranged damage (mainly casters at this point). The scorpions and earth elementals both do melee damage only with the scorpion adding poison for “some” difficulty. It’s easy to get the elementals hung up on the stalactites so mages and archers can breeze through Shame level 1 about as easily as a dexxer can.

7. The money flows fast in UO. At first you probably want to sell everything, but after a few days you can stick to what’s convenient. If you are using the West Britain Bank (WBB) there is a weapon/armor shop, a jeweler, a clothier, and a provisioner all within one screen of the bank. About the only thing you can’t sell in under 30 seconds is scrolls and wands. You’ll have to go a couple screens north or East to find a mage shop that will buy them. Leather/meat/ore are usually too heavy to justify the pack space necessary to lug it to town to sell.

8. See question two. A lot of useless skills actually have a use at some point. Camping, herding, and spirit speak are worthless to any developed character. However, most of us use them a lot when building the stats for our characters, and then drop them once we get the health, dexterity, and intelligence we need. Begging is the only thing that comes to mind that has no redeeming value. Taste ID is pretty close, but an alchemist who keeps both greater poison and deadly poison kegs around can probably use it to make sure they don’t get mixed up. Nobody wants to put a deadly poison keg on his vendor at a greater poison price.
Magnesium likes this post
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage