Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New player -- how to start killing monsters?
Hi, I used to play this game like 10+ years ago, and quite often.
I played on Hestia, and Atlantis.
I don't remember a lot about the game, but I logged in and acquired a weapon from the shop -- I went to the graveyard and proceeded to get my face slapped by skeletons.

My question is, how do I start killing and acquiring loot? I'm so weak as a new character, and I'm having trouble figuring this part out.
Also do monsters have 'rare' bag drops or a similar RNG system for cool loot? I'm the type of player that is a treasure hunter/ collector of rare commodities, my favorite past time was deciphering maps and digging up treasure! Thanks and nice to see the game isn't dead.
Blyth and Skrap like this post
(11-30-2015, 08:34 PM)Charcoal Salamander Wrote: Hi, I used to play this game like 10+ years ago, and quite often.
I don't remember a lot about the game, but I logged in and acquired a weapon from the shop -- I went to the graveyard and proceeded to get my face slapped by skeletons.

My question is, how do I start killing and acquiring loot? I'm so weak as a new character, and I'm having trouble figuring this part out.
Also do monsters have 'rare' bag drops or a similar RNG system for cool loot? I'm the type of player that is a treasure hunter/ collector of rare commodities, my favorite past time was deciphering maps and digging up treasure! Thanks and nice to see the game isn't dead.

Hi and welcome! 

Check those guides, I think you will find some good info there:
https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=67

https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=304
Your question isn’t easy or simple. It’s why this game has such a high initial fail rate. There’s 3 things you need to do before you start smacking skeletons:

1. Get some decent strength and dexterity. You really should be in the 90’s for each before you step out of town. You’ll swing faster and be able to take A LOT more hits. The best way to do this is by a shepherd’s crook from one of the stable masters and set up a macro that herds one of the gray animal’s into a specific spot, put in a “special construct” that is a 1.2 second delay and hit the loop button. In 2 hours you should be in the 90’s for STR (depending on initial starting values) and 50’s for dex. Go to the tinker and by a lute. Macro it with a 1.1 second delay also. In another hour you should have the stat’s to go outside.

2. You’ve got a 3-4 hour time sink built in to build up stats before you venture outside. I’d boot up your second account and start earning some cash. You can start a 50/50 tailor/? And start sheering sheep and selling fancy shirts. The advantage here is you will save some cloth back to use as healing for your fighter. You could start a 50/50 lumberjack/bowyer and start making bows and selling them. You could start a 50/50 smith/tinker and start mining. The advantage to this approach is you can outfit your fighter with a decent weapon and decent armor at no cost with the ore you mine and then make into items.

3. You need to start with the right stats. Choose advanced. I normally start with about 30 str, 10 int, and rest in dex. Don’t worry about putting anything in INT, as herding will likely get you int the 20’s which is perfectly fine for a starting fighter (casting mark via scroll to find your hunting spots again). FYI, Mining is a good strength builder if you cap off a little light in the 90’s. Musicianship and snooping are quick builders in dex for free. Next for skills I would choose healing 50/magery 49/herding 1. Mainly the 1 point in herding is to get a free shepards crook for herding. Weapon skill/tactics/parry are all free and easy to raise (provided you have decent stats). Healing and magery are hard and expensive to raise. You’ll want some magery to get around the world and mark spots for your other characters, etc. Put your beginning stats in the expensive/hard skills to raise and you’ll be killing skeletons and earning money in a few hours.

FYI, bone armor the skeletons and other undead drop is very good armor. Pick it up and try it on. If it gives you better stats (particularly the chest piece) sell the crappy chain one you just made for yourself (assuming smith/tink route) and wear the bone one.

In 3- 4 hours you’ll have a decent start. You’ll have some way to earn money. You’ll have fun killing skeleton’s, and you’ll feel great. One last note, start a bandage as soon as you start a fight. Even at 50 skill you have a high fail rate (particularly if skeletons are hitting you). It might take a few tries before a bandage actually heals you. Don’t be afraid to use obstacles (tree’s and fences) to separate you from the mobs if you need some time to heal up or rethink your attack plan or pull out that fancy new bow you just made (bowyer/lumberjack route).
Skrap likes this post
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
Welcome back to UO my friend! Get past these initial stages of starting up and you will be having a BLAST!! The best piece of advice I can give is to hop into IRC and become a part of the community. Plus you can usually have questions answered much quicker, as well as find help when needed. You may make a few friends in the process.

IRC:

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.uolostlan...#lostlands
Skrap likes this post
*Cr3w*  *WAR US*                  ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐                    *Cr3w*  *WAR US*
[Image: coFgqHB.gif]
(11-30-2015, 08:34 PM)Charcoal Salamander Wrote: Hi, I used to play this game like 10+ years ago, and quite often.

Welcome buddy, let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out in your beginnings!
[Image: Jto3mRU.png]
All of these posts have pretty much summed it up. Takes a bit of patience and grit getting through the beginning but it's totally worth it as stated before! Would love to log on my dexxer and do some dungeon runs with you Smile
Thank you so much for the inside info. I'm in the same boat. I played the shit of the game in high school and even had a private server for a two years after but since then I have forgotten all about how to start from scratch! Hell, that was 14 years ago!

I've tried a few times to start playing again but I always feel so over whelmed. I'm going to give this a go tonight when I get home from work. The forums are not full of trolls or elite players and everyone seems so helpful and inviting. I'm happy I stumbled across this place from reddit!
HateCrime, Jack, Abyz And 2 others like this post
when you start try to avoid monsters that cast spells. Getting poisoned with no way to cure it is a recipe for frustration. Once you have a good pile of gold start working on your magery. Once it gets high enough to cast cure/greater heal/recall and mark you are on your way.