Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server wipe timer
Hey, completely new here, but I was talking with another player and they recommended I put it up on the forum to start a conversation. The server I came from is dying out from stagnant population of hoarders and house refreshers, so the suggestion has been made to wipe the server and start from scratch. They won't do it there, and it's their server, so not pitching a fit about it. This place is obviously new enough to not need that for a long time, but what about a system in place for long term server recycle? Like every (fill in time amount), chars/housing get wiped, so we keep all the work GMs put in as far as bugs/dev/mechanics/events/etc, but a fresh start for players. I think every server has a life before it goes sour from overpopulation/housing issues/hoarders, so it's just an idea to throw out there. We could also track housing/financial holdings so if someone wants to be the "winner" of the economic aspect each time the server cycle ends, that could be an achievement.

oh also, just to clarify so nobody thinks I mean short term, the time frames I would imagine would be in the 1-3 year type of cycle
There will not be a server wipe for this shard ever. The idea of a looming date on which everything is wiped would only server to make it seem pointless to play. That does not mean we cannot combat inflation or things that make the shard stale in the future.

If UOLL ever got very popular and the day came where groups of players were in favor of a wipe, there might be merit in creating a sister shard with different rules.
[Image: jack-sig.png]
cool, thanks for quick response and clarity
I think the problem with a wipe is that some players like myself don't get to play ALL the time and it takes awhile to build chars, amass a hoard as you call it...so I might finally get somewhere only to have it wiped.

I do get the logic behind it but this shard is likely FAR from that overpopulation on the shard you're referring to Wink
I do get that the playing field would be leveled too on a wipe but I dunno that it really helps anything.. Interesting conversation though.
Damn Sly if you want to start over every so often make your own shard and play there and wipe whenever you want. Who would ever want to spend months, and sometimes years building accounts just to start over?

and that shard referred to is not overpopulated by far, its just dead. I know people that have ten accounts there and are all in refresh mode. The last time I had a bug up my butt to walk the shard looking for idocs (which tells you how bored I was) half of them were buck naked empty which is again another indicator of server health. If the admins there would do some checking and cross referencing IP's they could see and rectify the situation there.