Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IRC: A guide
Joining IRC is very simple. You can simply click "IRC Chat" on the main web page, and the KiwiIRC web client will ask for you a nickname, click connect and you're done.
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.uolostlan...#lostlands

For those interested in more advanced uses of IRC, such as using a non-web based client, securing your nickname and creating private channels, read on.

mIRC
mIRC is a non web based IRC client. For frequent users of IRC, mIRC is a much nicer alternative than using our web client overall. mIRC has better notification options, it will be easier to tell when you receive private messages, disconnect, and so on.

mIRC also allows for you to write "login" scripts, which are useful for immediately joining all the channels you wish to, as well as automatically identifying yourself so you are given OPs in channels you may own.

This guide will cover some of these features. To download mIRC, goto the following URL and download the client: http://mirc.com

Registering Your Nick & Identifying Yourself
One feature of IRC is the ability to register and identify yourself. This ensures that IRC always knows who you are (and that you are the same person as yesterday), as well as additional security options which prevent anyone from ever using your nickname. Identifying yourself is also necessary if you wish to run your own channel (more on that later).

To register your nickname, type the following:
Code:
/msg Nickserv Register [password] [email]

Your email is necessary only for lost password purposes, and you will never be emailed for any other reason.

Once you are registered, you can now always log in using the command:
Code:
/msg Nickserv Identify [password]

Now, if you're using mIRC, you can set yourself to be auto-identified every time you connect!

First click options:
[Image: step1.png]

Within options, again select "Options" on the left hand side, then click the "Perform" button on the right hand side.

[Image: step2.png]

Now, tick "Perform on connect" and enter into the text form:
Code:
/msg nickserv identify [password]
/join #lostlands

[Image: step3.png]

Now mIRC will automatically identify yourself whenever you disconnect and reconnect.

Creating Your Own Channel
An underused fact of the UOLL IRC server is the fact that any player can create their own channel and make it either private or public. You can "own" a channel so that you are the permanent moderator of it, and even stop other people from joining it at all using ChanServ. ChanServ is a bot that interacts with NickServ to determine who owns a channel and who has access to it.

Creating your own channel is amazingly simple: simply type "/join #[mychannel]", where [mychannel] is replaced with the name you want for your new channel.

Code:
/join #mychannel

Protecting Your New Channel

ChanServ can take care of your new channel for you so that others can't simply join or take over the channel without your permission. The Lost Lands Staff channel uses something like this, which will instantly ban anyone who is not identified as staff.

To register a channel with ChanServ, type the following:

Code:
/msg ChanServ REGISTER #mychannel [password] [description]

The password you used is not the key for the channel, but is simply a way to gain access to it. For most intents and purposes, you will not use the password at all. Description is the default topic. Immediately upon registering the channel you will be given owner privileges in the channel. Provided you have identified yourself with NickServ, you will always be opped to this channel when you join. 

Passwording Your Channel
Passwording your channel is easy:

Code:
/mode #mychannel +k [password]

One caveat to this is that if the channel is ever completely empty, it will lose the key. I am not sure if there is a way to permanently secure the key on a channel if everyone leaves. However if you rejoin and find that riff-raff has joined your channel, you will be able to kick them anyway since you are the owner.

Various Commands
Kick a user:
Code:
/kick #mychannel [nickname]

Ban a user:
Code:
/ban #mychannel [nickname]

Unbanning a user is a bit trickier:
Code:
/mode #mychannel -b [user's host]

Give a user OP status:
Code:
/op #mychannel [nickname]

Give a user permanent OP status (user must be identified with NickServ):
Code:
/msg ChanServ AOP #mychannel ADD [nickname]

Get Help from ChanServ or NickServ (and show all available commands):
Code:
/msg ChanServ help
/msg NickServ help

For more specific help, for example, help on the AOP command:
Code:
/msg ChanServ help AOP
[Image: jack-sig.png]
i like to have one single app/software for manage my multiple IM,
my pick is trillian
i decide to add lostland IRC too and that is what i did,
i will use more image then word cuose basically i'm sure everybody here know my english make eyes bleed,
aniway hope it help...

Donwload trillian, hit Manage account
under plug in enable IRC 5.3

[Image: GY2YZcW.jpg]

Create new account

[Image: NsAX4es.jpg]

fill this box and then hit settings

[Image: mtmT8DY.jpg]

select Miscellaneus and write down command line you want execute on open

[Image: rAANu34.jpg]
Jack likes this post