Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Some Thoughts on Simplification
Photo 
Hey fellas,

i want to start this off by saying that I would like a dialogue on possibly making some tasks a bit more simple in game. What I mean by this is to just get rid of monotonous things that are only there to take more time away from fulfilling the main goal. "Streamlining", would be a good word for what I mean. I'll give three examples that stand out to me immediately.

1.) I would like to see vendors ALWAYS sell you wares by withdrawing the gold from your bank account, rather than requiring you to carry the gold up to a certain amount. 

I understand that once you get to 3200 or 5400 gold value purchases (or something around there) they just withdraw it from your bank account, but why not 32 gold value purchases as well. This only means that a player needs to run back to the bank and grab however much gold they need, which is only adding more time to the task, which is unnecessary in my opinion. 

I cannot think of an extraordinary reason not to make this change. The only argument I can think of is that this change would take away the ability for a thief to steal some of your gold on the way to an NPC vendor. But how much gold could a thief really steal? Only ten stones worth. How often does this occur?

2.) I would also like to see vendors be able to buy infinite amounts of wares. 

Meaning, they wouldn't run out of money when you sell them lots of stuff.

I understand that this suggestion has been hotly debated on multiple shards for years now, and I think I understand why. 

1. it doesn't really make sense for an NPC to have infinite wealth at his/her fingertips from a realism point of view. 
  2. People who treasure hunt or fish SOS's will make money off of the junk magics.
  3. Crafters can turn their hundreds of junk items into cash.
I personally believe that this policy of having to wait an hour to continue to sell your items, only hinders this sort of abuse instead of stopping it. It only adds time to the task, which in my opinion is not useful.

3.) I would like to see potion kegs become easier to produce (One cllick).

I believe building a keg should be as simple as having all the necessary wood, iron and bottles in your pack, and clicking, "potion keg", in the tinkering menu.

The last time I made a crafter was on a really easy UO:R era shard many years ago, but I decided to make one here. I trained Carpentry and Tinkering first, making tools and such so that other skills would come easier. When I got to Alchemy, I decided to build my own kegs, and boy was I surprised by how convoluted and tedious building them was. I truly don't remember whether I built my own or just bought kegs on the last shard I made an alchemist.

i do not see this as positive because of the simple fact that all of the pieces being built to make a potion keg is simply adding more time to the task, which isn't fun. I'm not forgetting that all you need to do is make a macro to go through the process. That's what I did. But why is that whole process their to begin with?

In conclusion, these are the first three topics I would like to discuss with you guys. Hopefully no one thinks I am challenging the shard or attacking it in any way. I just think we could simplify things in smaller ways to make the game a little bit less tedious.

Thank you.
(06-21-2018, 04:20 AM)fight milk Wrote: Hey fellas,

i want to start this off by saying that I would like a dialogue on possibly making some tasks a bit more simple in game. What I mean by this is to just get rid of monotonous things that are only there to take more time away from fulfilling the main goal. "Streamlining", would be a good word for what I mean. I'll give three examples that stand out to me immediately.

1.) I would like to see vendors ALWAYS sell you wares by withdrawing the gold from your bank account, rather than requiring you to carry the gold up to a certain amount. 

I understand that once you get to 3200 or 5400 gold value purchases (or something around there) they just withdraw it from your bank account, but why not 32 gold value purchases as well. This only means that a player needs to run back to the bank and grab however much gold they need, which is only adding more time to the task, which is unnecessary in my opinion. 

I cannot think of an extraordinary reason not to make this change. The only argument I can think of is that this change would take away the ability for a thief to steal some of your gold on the way to an NPC vendor. But how much gold could a thief really steal? Only ten stones worth. How often does this occur?

2.) I would also like to see vendors be able to buy infinite amounts of wares. 

Meaning, they wouldn't run out of money when you sell them lots of stuff.

I understand that this suggestion has been hotly debated on multiple shards for years now, and I think I understand why. 

1. it doesn't really make sense for an NPC to have infinite wealth at his/her fingertips from a realism point of view. 
  2. People who treasure hunt or fish SOS's will make money off of the junk magics.
  3. Crafters can turn their hundreds of junk items into cash.
I personally believe that this policy of having to wait an hour to continue to sell your items, only hinders this sort of abuse instead of stopping it. It only adds time to the task, which in my opinion is not useful.

3.) I would like to see potion kegs become easier to produce (One cllick).

I believe building a keg should be as simple as having all the necessary wood, iron and bottles in your pack, and clicking, "potion keg", in the tinkering menu.

The last time I made a crafter was on a really easy UO:R era shard many years ago, but I decided to make one here. I trained Carpentry and Tinkering first, making tools and such so that other skills would come easier. When I got to Alchemy, I decided to build my own kegs, and boy was I surprised by how convoluted and tedious building them was. I truly don't remember whether I built my own or just bought kegs on the last shard I made an alchemist.

i do not see this as positive because of the simple fact that all of the pieces being built to make a potion keg is simply adding more time to the task, which isn't fun. I'm not forgetting that all you need to do is make a macro to go through the process. That's what I did. But why is that whole process their to begin with?

In conclusion, these are the first three topics I would like to discuss with you guys. Hopefully no one thinks I am challenging the shard or attacking it in any way. I just think we could simplify things in smaller ways to make the game a little bit less tedious.

Thank you.

2) Is actually one of the major factors in why someone can't simply run a macro 24/7 and sell scrolls to vendors for a ridiculous profit.

I spent a rather long time looking at and calculating profits around these before the supply and demand system actually put this activity to rest.

The supply and demand system directly takes care of this since the sell value is recalculated based on how much the vendor actually *wants* the item. If you sell 5 flamestrike scrolls to a vendor, the vendor will recalculate how much it wants flamestrike scrolls. Without the max limit of a 5 sell, there's nothing stopping someone from selling 5000 scrolls at max profit and earning millions of gold a month completely afk.

There are other options of course, like changing how much scrolls are worth to not be profitable. But when you do that you're actually stopping legit non afk players from turning a profit on their profession by selling to vendors across Britannia. And changing prices based on the removal of an era accurate system is 2 steps from the problem we wanted to solve in the first place (which is already solved by era accuracy!).

It's one of the era accurate things I'd be highly opposed to changing. 
Xandorf likes this post
[Image: jack-sig.png]
I say no to #1 Because you can also be pked with the gold at the vendor. That is the point, risk vs reward.

No to #2 also for the reasons Jack stated, nobody should be able to make a profit afk non-stop.

#3 now I do agree with, I myself have had to fill bulk orders of kegs and let me tell you it takes FOREVER lol. But there should be an option to do it one potion at a time also for gains. That is the only hard part I see that would take some tinkering.