Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Med warrior question
I am currently working on a template for a leather wearing med warrior. My plan at first was to go with 90 str, 85 dex and 50 int. but I realize that extra 10 pts in str is really needed for damage so instead I plan on 100 str, 75 dex and 50 int. I understand I will swing slower (not sure on exact numbers) but my main concern is healing. On the wiki for UOLL all it says is that it takes 15 seconds to heal yourself and 5 seconds to heal other. If anyone can provide some information that might help me decide what to do, it would be really helpful.
The 15 second 5 second heal is referring to healing with bandages not casting (which uses meditation). Casting is basically instantaneous. Bandages are 15/5 second delays. Using a Gheal pot is basically nstantaneous as well, but you can only use one every 10 seconds, so you could consider it a 10 second cast I suppose. It does have a timer like the bandages. It takes 3 times longer to heal yourself with bandages than it does when another player bandages you. If you could heal yourself with bandages every 5 seconds everyone would consider healing an essential skill for all builds, heh heh.

What everyone intuitively knows (and certainly you also) is that a hybrid approach is likely to be more successful in PVP because you have multiple ways to damage/heal. It’s why mages take up swords/tactics/archery & warriors take up magery/med/Eval, etc.

Meditation is certainly a good option for that 7th skill. Poisoning is another. Evaluate intelligence would be a good option. Hide has it uses. Archery is surprising good here. The one thing I would caution you on, is you really don’t have a lot of downtime to sit down and actively meditate in a fight, so whether you use leather or chain you won’t see a lot of difference in passive meditation rates. Basically don’t feel like you have to limit yourself to leather unless it’s purely for PVM. For PVM you don’t actually have to worry about a hybrid quite honestly (50 magery is workable), so I’m assuming you are looking for help on something that is useful in PVP.

As far as stats, I like your assessment. I run 100/75/50 on my hybrid warrior. It works well with a decently fast weapon that comes in under 1.6 seconds per swing with 70 dex. That will allow you to interrupt a mage regularly. If you go swords you’ll probably want to swap out a fast weapon with a halberd at certain times. I went Eval for my 7th skill, but med certainly works. The 50 magery allows you to cast EV or rez which helps make you a more rounded player (PVM). It helps protect you from mindblast which mages like to cast on warriors in PVP. It gives you additional casting ability which you’ll probably need when facing a PVP situation. I like 100/85/40 if the weapon is a touch slower or you plan on doing a fair amount of PVM with him/her. You can still cast EV with a potion, but you’ll be mainly relying on your warrior skills & bandages so the extra dex speeds things up a bit.

The key to any PVP encounter is burst damage. With heal pots, heal skill, and heal spells every PVPer has access to two or three methods to heal. That means steady damage is very easy to manage. It’s that burst damage that will kill. That’s honestly why I took Eval. When I want to cast/swing/exp pot at close to the same time I want each to hit for close to max. Basically I need to be sure he’s going down in the combo because I can’t afford to waste the mana on a damage spell that won’t down him for good. It’s the primary weakness of this approach.

With med you can make a mistake. You’ll get an extra cast or two in for either heal or damage. That’s gives you the opportunity to make a mistake with a damage spell that doesn’t drop him, cure a couple more poisons, get an extra heal in, cast a couple more harms to block a heal, etc. You’ll get a little less burst damage, but you’ll likely live longer. It’s a good trade off.

One other thing to note is you will be a pot hoe. You’ll spend as much time drinking/chucking as he/she spends casting/chucking/switching to weapon. Let me repeat that. You will spend a lot of time drinking/chucking. He will be running away from you a good chunk of the time, and he’ll be running toward you the rest of the time. During that time he runs away you probably aren’t going to hit him much at all with your weapon. You need to be chucking as you try to catch him (or drinking if he poisoned you) since the exp pot can actually act as a ranged attack which a warrior sorely lacks. The rest of the time he will be running toward you as he pulls his weapon out and chucks to try and set up a kill. You’ll need to spend this time drinking heals, casting heals to negate his set up or setting up your own kill (chucking/swinging). Practice that chucking with the lesser heals from the mage shops. You need to master that skill to have a chance. Personally, I’m too lazy to master chucking. If you want to win a lot of those encounters you really should master it.
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage