Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explosion Potions
Just get rid of them, period.

I had tried to make some more detailed suggestions but honestly, none of them will work. The only reason I carried explosion pots on OSI was to reveal hidden. That's all any of us really used them for, at least I never saw them used to the extent that they are used today. They've ruined one of my favorite games that I grew up with. I am certain it did the same to some of you at some point before you adapted. Every server I have played it's the same and I just can't understand why no one is speaking up against this form of pvp besides me.
The Gods, Skynyrd, Pringles like this post
Exp pots separate the men from the boys.

I’m still not nearly as good as I should be with them. They make up a healthy chunk of your DPS in PVP. They give you additional “burst” damage which makes a kill much more likely. They don’t cost any mana to cast so you chuck a keg load of them if you want. I would be one of those people who would benefit greatly from them being removed. So I would best be characterized as a boy in my first statement.

The truth is I know my own laziness is why I am a boy. I could lock myself in a tower until I get good. I probably should, but here’s the thing. Everyone can use them. The only “limit” is the amount of money you want to invest in having them on hand. It’s doesn’t imbalance gameplay to have them. It’s only failing is you have to put in the time and get enough experience to use them well. That in my mind isn’t a failure, it’s a virtue. The best player using all the tools available to him has the best chance to win. That’s the way it should be in any game.

Changing a valid game mechanic in period purely because it doesn’t feel as good isn’t a proper approach. People didn’t use them much back then, because they didn’t know any better. I certainly didn’t. 20 years of experience has taught us they are an invaluable tool in PVP.

I say lock yourself in a tower for a week, and come out as an EXP pot expert. The concern will largely be alleviated.
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
(08-08-2016, 08:34 AM)D_SeL Wrote: Just get rid of them, period.

I had tried to make some more detailed suggestions but honestly, none of them will work. The only reason I carried explosion pots on OSI was to reveal hidden. That's all any of us really used them for, at least I never saw them used to the extent that they are used today. They've ruined one of my favorite games that I grew up with. I am certain it did the same to some of you at some point before you adapted. Every server I have played it's the same and I just can't understand why no one is speaking up against this form of pvp besides me.

I started playing during UO:R and  my OSI player experience is too that purple potions at first were only used to reveal hidden players, it wasn't common to use it as additional damage in pvp. I vaguely remember that that changed around AoS, then it became standard for pvp (I played Europa and Siege Perilous).

Everything in game can be learned with enough practise, sure. But I would love if the purple pots just went back to be only good for revealing. 
The Gods likes this post
[Image: I34cGTd.png]
The nature of pvp has changed. Most t2a servers I played did not implement purples. But it's mainly a cause of the environment change. On osi in a field 1v1 most people didn't use many gheal pots period nor did they run due to connection or pride. On other t2a servers it was taboo to use anything but a red pot in a field 1v1 whether you had them or not.

Purple potions for me have always just supplied one benefit and that is nullifying the effect of gheal pots in 1v1s. It has just been a drastic vicious cycle where instead of skill v skill people are throwing the kitchen sink at you. What makes it worse on this server is the instant damage allows for people to macro these so it is no longer a skill merely an extra button.

lol, learn to use them then. 
(08-09-2016, 03:33 PM)Durzo Blint Wrote:

lol, learn to use them then. 
Well, Durzo that's exactly what I've decided to do. I was considering ending my time on UOLL like I've done for most server's once I've found out about the explosion pot pvp. My friends convinced me otherwise. I worked my ass off in the first 2 weeks of playing here earning the cash to supply a smith until he GM'd. I'm not going to stop now on this my more than likely final attempt at ultima online. So whether explosion pots stay or go, I will adapt. I would prefer they went but if they stay I'll finally have to learn to use them. I hope I get good enough with them that other people start to complain about them. It would be cool if I was the cause of explosion pots being removed Smile
get good
Sure thing, Cheerio!
Jack likes this post

agreed(with back in the day)...imo spamming purple pots so u can win a fight is a noob tactic...kinda like dp but worse...back on catskills(i started playing the week uo came out, sept 24th of 97 till 5-7 months after blackthorns revenge cuz game was too changed and wasnt the game i loved anymore)  they were rarely used except when pks would show up at the bone knight wall(especially when power hour was introduced which i think was uo:r era) and theyd purple pot the whole crowd/wall to begin their assault...other than that i dont remember of any one using them in pvp or field fights where it was a life or death fight between u or a pk/vice versa...sucks when u are whooping sum1 and cuz of this they start to spam pp's to either win the fight or make u run off to heal so they could recall or make u recall cuz u dont wanna die to pp's...and yes back then other times it was only used was to get sum1 hiding(or the old trick of saying Wis Quas and them running out of hiding...lol)....funny tho when it backfires and they get killed because they suck at throwing them and kill themselves or u finish em off  Blush
New on the server and would like some help? You are welcome to join our new players guild NEW. You can reach us in Discord
Elders of NEW are: The Gods, Ornithology, Groucho, Van, Kj(Temporary Co-GM), Catweazle(Temporary Co-GM), Pringles, and Black

(08-12-2016, 03:21 PM)The Gods Wrote:

agreed(with back in the day)...imo spamming purple pots so u can win a fight is a noob tactic...kinda like dp but worse...back on catskills(i started playing the week uo came out, sept 24th of 97 till 5-7 months after blackthorns revenge cuz game was too changed and wasnt the game i loved anymore)  they were rarely used except when pks would show up at the bone knight wall(especially when power hour was introduced which i think was uo:r era) and theyd purple pot the whole crowd/wall to begin their assault...other than that i dont remember of any one using them in pvp or field fights where it was a life or death fight between u or a pk/vice versa...sucks when u are whooping sum1 and cuz of this they start to spam pp's to either win the fight or make u run off to heal so they could recall or make u recall cuz u dont wanna die to pp's...and yes back then other times it was only used was to get sum1 hiding(or the old trick of saying Wis Quas and them running out of hiding...lol)....funny tho when it backfires and they get killed because they suck at throwing them and kill themselves or u finish em off  Blush
Well, I was just going to practice the spam and spam them on anyone and everyone. After seeing that some people do agree with me, I promise to only use them if I see someone trying to use them against me.