Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lockpicking
Maybe if discord was used in locking the box, this will be changed to accommodate you Boooby.
(07-28-2016, 06:28 PM)Boss Wrote: Maybe if discord was used in locking the box, this will be changed to accommodate you Boooby.

Why so salty?
(07-28-2016, 06:38 PM)Bobby Boulders Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 06:28 PM)Boss Wrote: Maybe if discord was used in locking the box, this will be changed to accommodate you Boooby.

Why so salty?

https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread...ht=killing
[Image: Jto3mRU.png]
(07-28-2016, 03:03 PM)Bobby Boulders Wrote: You think there should be a mechanic in the game that completely protects players against thieves so that players dont have to include the minimum amount of lockpicking into their builds in order to do level 1 treasure maps?

Thats like saying we shouldn't have seatbelts b/c they wrinkle our shirts.

What i'm saying is that i don't really don't care how lockpicking works, so long as level 1 treasure maps can be done by everyone with no skill investment. You may not have been around when treasure maps were introduced on OSI, but OSI specifically made it that way so anyone could do a level 1 treasure map intentionally, and skills were required for level 2 and up. That way everyone could participate in the PVM activity, but higher level maps gave much better rewards (as it should be). 

It hasn't happened on this shard yet, but i've set up new players with some level 1 maps, scrolls, a good suit of armor, a katana or krysss, a rune to town, and a rune to a vendor rune library. I then told them never to do an island one without help (silver serpents, no healer/town accessible). Then did the first map with them to show them the basic mechanics. While most of us find level 1's tedious, they are actually quite fun (risky) for underdeveloped toons. They get:

1. some good coin to actually buy stuff and outfit themselves properly. 
  2. Buying/selling to NPC vendors for even more coin
  3. some good experience/practice fighting weak ass mobs that can't damage you much in GM armor. 
  4. experience moving around the world and seeing new things (recall)
  5. A chance at some upgraded equipment
  6. regs for practicing magery
  7. a good understanding of overall mechanics (when to start applying bandages, etc)
  8. most of all, a good reason to stay (early success)
Not everyone trying out this server will be a vet. Not everyone is going to want to spend their first 3 days macroing skills/stats. If they've spent some time at the graveyard (some skill and some understanding of mechanics), I like to set them up on Tmaps because it opens the world up beyond the bank/GY. Once they see a much bigger world, they want to explore it (better player retention). That's my belief anyway. 

I could care less if you steal my mandrake and i can't recall out of a spot. You'll still have to earn that kill (hopefully). I'll take my death like a man and move on. 
Veranis and Bobby Boulders like this post
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
Maybe a fair compromise would be casting unlock on the actual avatar of the person with locked boxes in their backpack and then have it check to see if your unlock spell was strong enough to unlock any of the locked boxes in their backpack. Or is that just an overly complicated approach to this?
(08-05-2016, 11:47 AM)Swunk Wrote: Maybe a fair compromise would be casting unlock on the actual avatar of the person with locked boxes in their backpack and then have it check to see if your unlock spell was strong enough to unlock any of the locked boxes in their backpack. Or is that just an overly complicated approach to this?

Interesting idea, but as a thief that would require me to break stealth and at that point it would be sort of pointless.
Can a thief not lockpick a box in someone's pack?
(08-16-2016, 11:25 AM)D_SeL Wrote: Can a thief not lockpick a box in someone's pack?

Unfortunately not. That is precisely what I am suggesting.
(08-16-2016, 10:06 PM)Bobby Boulders Wrote:
(08-16-2016, 11:25 AM)D_SeL Wrote: Can a thief not lockpick a box in someone's pack?

Unfortunately not. That is precisely what I am suggesting.

I always thought they could, I was kind of confused about what this thread was talking about because I thought they could. That seems unfair to thieves, I might not like them but they should still have a chance to steal something from you especially if they work to get GM lockpicking.
I am against anything that changes the mechanics of the game away from the period. (Except for obvious bugs, which this is not.)