Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lockpicking
Lightbulb 
My suggestion is to allow boxes locked with the Magic Lock spell to be unlocked with the lockpicking skill. Magic Lock is Circle 3 spell so it shouldn't require a high efficiency in lockpicking to open it. This will add a way for thieves and other nefarious rouges to get into the infamous "Trammel Box".

*see post https://uolostlands.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=986

It would be fun to stealth next to a player, pick their locked box, and steal an item.
Isis likes this post
I agree 100%
Bobby Boulders likes this post
lvl 3-4 lping, though this isnt era accurate
I think the only way this would be fair is to remove using magery to unlock true "locked boxes" (i.e. dungeon chests) that way it's balanced both ways.  Plus as my friend ISIS pointed out, it's not era and although I love thieves it would make them a tad bit OP - nothing would be safe Smile
It is disappointing that there is a "be-all, end-all" way to negate stealing. There have always been ways to deter stealing. (I suppose this method as too, but this is my first encountering of it) Stacks of robes, trapped pouches, etc. that provided thieves with creative ways of circumventing. Making these boxes pick-able would add another. Picking these boxes would increase the time required to execute a steal significantly. In a thieves line of work every second is precious.
Isis and Veranis like this post
The main reason I am fine with spells unlocking in-game chests is because anyone (right now) can do level 1 treasure maps with no skill needed in mining, lockpicking, or cartography which is the way it should be. If you change it so the spell unlock only unlocks magic locked chests, everyone who wants to do a level 1 chest will need lockpicking. I don’t think that benefits anyone and is therefore not a good change.

Anyone should be able to do a level 1 chest with no skill required.
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
(07-27-2016, 05:33 AM)Bobby Boulders Wrote: It is disappointing that there is a "be-all, end-all" way to negate stealing. There have always been ways to deter stealing. (I suppose this method as too, but this is my first encountering of it) Stacks of robes, trapped pouches, etc. that provided thieves with creative ways of circumventing. Making these boxes pick-able would add another. Picking these boxes would increase the time required to execute a steal significantly. In a thieves line of work every second is precious.

this isn't 1997 anymore good sir. We learn to adapt and move on. There are still many great ways to steal. You just have to think outside the box.
(07-27-2016, 02:03 PM)Varak Wrote: The main reason I am fine with spells unlocking in-game chests is because anyone (right now) can do level 1 treasure maps with no skill needed in mining, lockpicking, or cartography which is the way it should be. If you change it so the spell unlock only unlocks magic locked chests, everyone who wants to do a level 1 chest will need lockpicking. I don’t think that benefits anyone and is therefore not a good change.

Anyone should be able to do a level 1 chest with no skill required.

You think there should be a mechanic in the game that completely protects players against thieves so that players dont have to include the minimum amount of lockpicking into their builds in order to do level 1 treasure maps?

Thats like saying we shouldn't have seatbelts b/c they wrinkle our shirts.
(07-26-2016, 08:06 PM)Darwin Wrote: although I love thieves it would make them a tad bit OP - nothing would be safe Smile

I disagree with this proposal.  The magic-locked box as it works here and in-era doesn't protect invis and reflect items and most weapons.  More importantly, it doesn't protect ANYTHING if it's not carried or not locked - which is still what most people do b/c locking and unlocking a chest constantly to get stuff in and out is a bit of a PITA.

It's a reasonable countermeasure against someone risking nothing other than a rune and a recall scroll, and it doesn't happen automatically, it requires the user to expend effort and resources.
Also protects high value, low weight items like platinum, skulls, statues, tmaps, etc.

(07-28-2016, 06:09 PM) pid=\5651' Wrote:More importantly, it doesn't protect ANYTHING if it's not carried or not locked - which is still what most people do b/c locking and unlocking a chest constantly to get stuff in and out is a bit of a PITA.

I don't think this is relevant. The fact that the entire server hasn't adopted this practice does not change that it is, according to your post, 100% thief proof.