Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stealing Flagging Problems
I'm not 100 percent sure how T2A accurate you want to get with the stealing system but something I've noticed here (and double-check tested with Veranis's help) is that perma-grey flagging is not working correctly with respect to T2A mechanics.

Given two players [i]nnocent and [t]hief, if [t] steals from [i] a few correct things happen:

1) [t] becomes "perma-grey" to everyone. Anyone can freely perform any actions on [t] without fear of criminal flagging or guards. This effect persists until [t] dies. [t] can appear innocent (blue) or criminal (grey) but is always treated as criminal until death.

2) A check is made based on the weight of the item and the number of spectators to see if anyone actually noticed [t] steal. If someone did, [t] not only becomes perma-grey (as in 1) but also is flagged criminal (grey) to everyone for the normal 120 second period.

The missing piece to the correct-ness puzzle, however, is what happens when [i] attacks [t].

Currently if [i] attacks [t], [i] becomes flagged as an aggressor to [t], meaning that [t] can now fight back against, steal from, or whatever to [i]. What should happen is that if [i] attacks [t] within 2 minutes of being perma-flagged, [i] should remain innocent toward [t]. If [t] were to fight back and kill [i] he should be able to be given a murder count. If [t] were to steal from [i] or attack [i] in town he should be able to have the guards called on him.

A very important piece of this mechanic is that an aggressor to [t] while he is within the 2 minute timer of the start of his perma-flag should not be able to trigger [t]'s auto-attack/auto-defend. This prevents players who are stolen from, from chasing the thief, getting the thief to do 1 damage of auto-defense, killing themselves, then reporting the thief for murder thereby suspending him from the thieves guild.

I hope all this makes sense, lemme know if you have questions or if there is information I need to provide to help make this happen.
If I'm not mistaken (I may have changed this at some point), but simply attacking a blue character on UOLL will make you reportable for murder, if that person dies. This is the main reason I've never implemented thieves as aggressors. It's low priority and something I may not implement at all.

I personally used to abuse this mechanic in era to give thieves counts and do not recall there being "no auto defend" rule. I think it's unlikely that such a rule existed on OSI.
[Image: jack-sig.png]
I think you're right about the auto-defend -- auto defend was off on another server I had played on (for this situation) and I assumed it was accurate. I did some cursory research last night and couldn't find anything supporting it.

As far as the flagging for thieves, as a thief I am much happier with the current implementation because it makes for a much more engaging interaction -- I don't have to steal and immediately flee the scene, I can stick around and try to steal more and the victim can try to kill me!
Skrap, Apoc, Veranis like this post
i liked your post but i fkn hate chiefs Big Grin
Veranis likes this post
[Image: Environment__POST_APOCALYPSE_by_I_NetGraFX-1.jpg]