Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] How to keep yourself 100% Thiefproof
This is a bug, you shouldn't be able to add or remove items to or from locked boxes.
[Image: tumblr_nbdrgaFV2f1r1bm4jo2_500.gif]
Waaaa?

Common sense?
(06-01-2016, 04:01 PM)Jack of Shadows Wrote: This is a bug, you shouldn't be able to add or remove items to or from locked boxes.

Worked this way on OSI back in the day.  Also works this way on uosa.
Doesn't mean it isn't a bug. Some servers have it where the key can still lock and unlock the box while inside the box. It makes as much sense as npcs seeing someone steal something behind their back and through 2 or 3 walls.
Ure a thief so shushhh dont want the new players to learn goe to keep there shit from ya

How*
[Image: luodpa7d4aa.png]
http://www.uoguide.com/Client_Patch_1.25.15

Fixed an exploit whereby you could remove items from locked containers if the container was already open on your screen.

It reasons to stand that means adding to them as well.
Wiz Kid, Rapture, Swunk like this post
(06-02-2016, 08:11 AM)Jack of Shadows Wrote: http://www.uoguide.com/Client_Patch_1.25.15

Fixed an exploit whereby you could remove items from locked containers if the container was already open on your screen.

It reasons to stand that means adding to them as well.

If this is exists, it needs to be patched out.  What's the purpose of running a thief at a TI if you can't steal platinum, skulls, uniques?  What is that?  This is basically forcing the thief to become someone who idles in town waiting for someone to go afk or prowl on some new player who's completely clueless.  If this existed on SA, I'm glad I never knew..people like Elk Eater kept the game as exciting as they did frustrating and are a crucial part of a thriving UO world.

RIP Trammel. 
Wiz Kid likes this post
Apoc[PEE] - Today at 4:10 PM
if i was near you i'd bang you the fk out
The behavior of being able to lift items from sub-containers of a locked chest is not actually intentional. In fact I sent Pixel a message after viewing this post questioning it. Apparently it is era accurate behavior (though I haven't actually checked it against the demo yet). Something like this might be seen as a bug though.

Anyway, let's keep the era-accuracy discussion out of this thread, if you want to discuss it further, please make a new thread in suggestions.
[Image: jack-sig.png]
(06-04-2016, 10:04 AM)Jack Wrote: The behavior of being able to lift items from sub-containers of a locked chest is not actually intentional. In fact I sent Pixel a message after viewing this post questioning it. Apparently it is era accurate behavior (though I haven't actually checked it against the demo yet). Something like this might be seen as a bug though.

Anyway, let's keep the era-accuracy discussion out of this thread, if you want to discuss it further, please make a new thread in suggestions.

Jack, just so we're clear on the functionality, Shadowjack's argument is misleading.  The uoguide link he cites describes EXACTLY the functionality I stated above: You can put items INTO a subcontainer of a locked box, but you cannot take them OUT OF the locked box.  UOLL thus works precisely the way the patch he cites intends, therefore his argument on that point is baseless.

Additionally, I think we should note that the lockbox is not without drawbacks (as I listed above) and it counters some extremely OP functionality available to thieves using current third-party programs.  For example, Razor allows thieves to use "last target" to steal your weapon (or other item) through at any level of container within your bag unless the container is locked.  Thieves can also use Razor, EUO, or Steam to, with the touch of a single button, recursively snoop through unlocked containers in your pack in order to automatically steal an item by type (such as your plat, TI skull, or... your mandrake root). 

Without the lockbox, a thief in a death robe can run (or stealth) up to someone and, using absolutely no skill and risking nothing except a recall scroll and rune, simply press a button and instantly steal items of massive value, and there's nothing the victim can do to stop it. 

Furthermore, I'd like to note that the lockbox doesn't work if you don't use it, and it's likely plenty of people won't or will forget.  It's not a foolproof solution, it simply allows you to take steps to defend a valuable item against someone who's risking nothing to take it.  Here's the discussion from UOSA where Boomland (Roadkill) describes the method above back in 2009, yet Elkeater went on to steal large quantities of mandrake root since that time:  http://forums.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?p=32525

As a perfect specific example, "Rapture" (Franchise/Skrap/Baal) was obviously fully aware of this defense from his post below, yet got his invis item jacked this morning by Elk at the TI... Tongue