UO Lost Lands Forum
GM Blacksmithy - Printable Version

+- UO Lost Lands Forum (https://uolostlands.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://uolostlands.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Guides (https://uolostlands.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: GM Blacksmithy (/showthread.php?tid=81)

GM Blacksmithy - Creager - 10-23-2014

So you may be thinking why would I want to gm blacksmithy? Well first of all, its always going to be a source of income now and even more so into the future of the server. At some point you will wish to repair your armor, weapons and shields yourself, instead of having someone else do it for you. You may wish to craft your own weapons. There are a lot of nice things to be made as a blacksmith, some that cannot be looted off monsters!

Blacksmithy/Mining:
  • Having around 75 smithy will allow you to make all items at a non exceptional level.
  • Colored ingots give the crafted item the hue of the ore, and no added AR bonus.
  • Ingots are gathered by mining or purchasingthem from the vendor for 5gp a pop.
  • A precise measurement of ingots from 30 smithy to gm is 60k and from 50-100 45k.
Character Template:
I personally for stats would start out with high strength and high dex as you are going to be walking around and carrying stuff alot. Two starting skills at 50 would be Blacksmithy and Tinkering(best starting zone is minoc). I start blacksmithy at 50 because who really enjoys mining that extra 15k ingots or even buying them from vendors?Tinkering because you want to be able to make those shovels and utensils on the fly.

Mining was nerfed so it will be a little harder than when I leveled it, but its still an easy skill to gain as you will be doing a lot of it if you decide to go on the free resourceroute. Unless you are into colored ore, or you don't wantto gm smithy as fast as possible(lock mining at 64.9)otherwisepoint that arrow up and keep going ham!

A complete crafting character template for a perfectionist would look something like this:
  • Stats 100 Strength/85 Dexterity/40 Intelligence(enough for gate travel)
  • Blacksmithy
  • Tinkering
  • Carpentry
  • Mining
  • Lumberjacking
  • Meditation
  • Magery
This is much more of a futuristic character template because of these skills coincidingwith each other as far as keg making and house addons are concerned. If you make it to 75 tinkering during your mass mining of beautiful ingots lock it up, so later on when you decide to tackle carpentry you can make the first set of two lockboxes that lockpickers can macro off of.

So ive managed to talk alot about other stuff...lets get back on track with some smithy!

Crafting Guide:
  • 50 - 65: Cutlass
  • 65 - 75: Kryss
  • 75 - 85: Short Spear
  • 85 - 95: Plate Gorgets
  • 95 - GM: Plate Gloves

I am slightly biased with starting from 50 smithy, for those of you that start from 30 the advice I give you and everyone thats leveling a crafter is that you gain more skill based on success of crafting that item. So I would craft an item that you have a 60% chance to make, that way you get some solid gains and you are able to smelt the remainsof it down and repeat until you've reached the next level of item you are going to craft.

Razor Macro for Blacksmithy:
!Loop
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4027|True
Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|300
Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|14|0|0
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|5140
Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|1
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.5000000

This macro will need to be adjusted depending on what item you are crafting.

Razor Macro for Mining:
!Loop
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|5|1|375
Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|906|3|ENU|0|Full!
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|38119|200
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1083|
Assistant.Macros.ElseAction
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|you have worn out your tool
Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|2|537|3|ENU|0|
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|7864|True
Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|2002155655|False|1
Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|8|0|0
Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|72|0|0
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.7500000
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3897|True
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
Assistant.Macros.LastTargetAction
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|dig some
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
Assistant.Macros.LastTargetAction
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|no metal
Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|906|3|ENU|0|Move on!
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:05
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction

This macro will make mining way easier and also help you level your tinkering at the same time!

So you have some awesome razor macros, time to get rolling!

Happy Smithing!

GM Blacksmithy - Creager - 10-28-2014

Ingots are now available for purchase at 9gp per from npcs.

RE: GM Blacksmithy - Ziggy - 05-17-2015

Just wanted to add this the minimum skill of blacksmithy needed to use each colored ore:

Ore & Ingots--          Minimum Skill (base skill)
Dull Copper --           65
Shadow   --              70
Copper   --               75
Bronze   --               80
Golden  --                85
Agapite --                90
Verite     --               95
Valorite    --             99

Hope this helps!

RE: GM Blacksmithy - Apoc - 01-06-2016

(10-23-2014, 06:30 AM)Creager Wrote: So you may be thinking why would I want to gm blacksmithy? Well first of all, its always going to be a source of income now and even more so into the future of the server. At some point you will wish to repair your armor, weapons and shields yourself, instead of having someone else do it for you. You may wish to craft your own weapons. There are a lot of nice things to be made as a blacksmith, some that cannot be looted off monsters!

Blacksmithy/Mining:
  • Having around 75 smithy will allow you to make all items at a non exceptional level.
  • Colored ingots give the crafted item the hue of the ore, and no added AR bonus.
  • Ingots are gathered by mining or purchasingthem from the vendor for 5gp a pop.
  • A precise measurement of ingots from 30 smithy to gm is 60k and from 50-100 45k.
Character Template:
I personally for stats would start out with high strength and high dex as you are going to be walking around and carrying stuff alot. Two starting skills at 50 would be Blacksmithy and Tinkering(best starting zone is minoc). I start blacksmithy at 50 because who really enjoys mining that extra 15k ingots or even buying them from vendors?Tinkering because you want to be able to make those shovels and utensils on the fly.

Mining was nerfed so it will be a little harder than when I leveled it, but its still an easy skill to gain as you will be doing a lot of it if you decide to go on the free resourceroute. Unless you are into colored ore, or you don't wantto gm smithy as fast as possible(lock mining at 64.9)otherwisepoint that arrow up and keep going ham!

A complete crafting character template for a perfectionist would look something like this:

• Stats 100 Strength/85 Dexterity/40 Intelligence(enough for gate travel)
  • Blacksmithy
  • Tinkering
  • Carpentry
  • Mining
  • Lumberjacking
  • Meditation
  • Magery
This is much more of a futuristic character template because of these skills coincidingwith each other as far as keg making and house addons are concerned. If you make it to 75 tinkering during your mass mining of beautiful ingots lock it up, so later on when you decide to tackle carpentry you can make the first set of two lockboxes that lockpickers can macro off of.

So ive managed to talk alot about other stuff...lets get back on track with some smithy!

Crafting Guide:
  • 50 - 65: Cutlass
  • 65 - 75: Kryss
  • 75 - 85: Short Spear
  • 85 - 95: Plate Gorgets
  • 95 - GM: Plate Gloves
Instead of doing short spear at 75 i'd do as soon you can make them i started with 50 smithing short spear 6 ingots 45.3 skill needed to make cutlass 8 ingots... 

RE: GM Blacksmithy - The Gods - 01-27-2016

ive always done:
cutlass 50-68.4/69
short spear 68.4/69-85
spear 85-95/96(can gm from spear but will take too long) but doing spear over plate gorget saves sooo many ingots and gets great gains as well
plate gloves 95/96-GM
and ive always maintained great gains off this....not switching to kryss at all

RE: GM Blacksmithy - Varak - 01-28-2016

I think you might be confusing differences in shards. What I’ve found here is that weapons give the same ingot return rate when smelting for weapons & armor. At least I haven’t been able to document a difference in product.

Gorgets take 10 ingots and return 6 so cost right around 4 ingots per build/smelt cycle and require 56.4 skill required.

Spears take 12 ingots and return 7.5 ingots so cost right around 4.5 ingots per build cycle and require 49 skill to make.

Since gorgets cost less ingots per build and require higher skill, there will be a point where the gorget outpaces the spear in raw skill gain per ingot lost.

At skill 90 per 1,000 builds the spear will burn 6096 ingots with an 82% chance to make the build (just outside the ideal range of 60-80%)

At skill 90 per 1,000 builds the gorget will burn 5968 ingots at a 62.2% success rate. Simply put at 90 you’ll get better skill gains and use less ingots with gorgets. It’s honestly not by much. We are talking 80 ingots, but the better skill gain at 62.2% versus 82% ensures the gorget is the better choice from 90 up until about 95.

On UOSA some weapons would get crazy high ingot returns from smelting. I made A LOT of kryss’s leveling mainly because it had a 98% ingot return rate. No kidding. 98%. You were basically getting your skill points for free when making Kryss’s. That’s why you saw a lot of people making weapons most or all of the way to GM over there. They had a much better ingot return rate than armor. I once had 1,000 bronze ingots and I was low on iron. I remembered Kryss had a great return rate often giving back the same amount of ingots it costs to make them. I had Djimon make Kryss’s with them. When you smelt a weapon it always returns iron ingots regardless of the color of ingot used to make them. I was able to convert 1,000 bronze ingots into 976 iron ingots. That’s how I know the exact return on that particular item on that particular shard. Here pretty much everything seems to return right around 60%. I found one sword that was lower, but can’t remember which. When everything smelts back at the same percentage, the two factors that matter are success chance, and original ingot amount of the build (presented above).