UO Lost Lands Forum

Full Version: Poker - A basic Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there Smile 

Im Fox i played on UOSA in 2013 with Apoc and just joined here 2 Days ago. Yesterday i had a blast at the new poker tables. I want to play there more often, so i thought i'll give you some basic knowledge about Poker to be able to come and join me Smile 

(Note: im not a native speaker, so if you see any typos or errors, tell me and im happy to correct them)

The rules of Poker - Texas No Limit Hold'em 

I will explain here the game in the right order in which 1 round of poker takes place.

Step 1 - Posting the small blind and big blind

What are the blinds?
  • The Big blind is the minimum bet you're able to do
  • the small blind is half the big blind
  • the blinds need to be payed clockwise from each of 2 players each round
  • blinds basically are the price of 1 cycle of poker till they come back again to you
  • You're forced by the game to pay it automatically, no need to think about it!
To make things clearer i'll show you a picture of the different positions on a poker table

Table positions and the dealer button

[attachment=45]
  • A full table of poker has a maximum of 9 players
  • there are 3 early, 3 middle and 3 late positions (1 early + 2 blinds).
  • if less than 9 players are at the table the early positions will be taken away first then middle etc.
    For example 6 players are on the table then theres only the 2 blind positions 1 middle and 3 late The blinds count always as early positions but can't be taken away. So theres 1 open early position and 2 middle, which can be taken away.
  • You look at the positions in clockwise order
The Dealer button 

The dealer button is the best position in the game. Thats the latest position and because of this you're the last on to act in a round of poker. You have the most information about the actions of the other players! This is a huge advantage and thats also why this position will earn you the most money!

Step 2 - Dealing out the hand cards 

the poker variant Texas holdem is played with only 2 cards in hand. Everyone will get the cards again in clockwise order dealt.
In Texas holdem you need always 5 cards in sum to form a counting hand. 2 From your hand (which others cant see and 3 of the 5 cards laying at the table. Below you can see a picture of all hand rankings in the order of its strength in poker.

Hand rankings:
[attachment=44]

Step 3 - First betting round
  • the first open early position after the blinds is first in action
  • minimum bet is 1 big blind
Should i just make a minimum bet, fold or 3 times the big blind bet?

Tipps and hints:

• !!NEVER!! do a minimum bet of 1 big blind! Here is why: if you do this and the next 2 player do it also theres already 3 players involved in the pot + the 2 blinds. Which adds up to a total pot of 
    1000 (blig blind) + 500 (small blind) + 1000 (you) + 1000 (p1) + 1000 (p2) = 4500
          The next player only has to pay 1000 to win 4500 thats quite cheap isnt it?
  • BETTER: with good cards just make a bet 3 times the big blind + 1 big blind for everyone who just made a minimum bet before you.

Example: We asume you are now p2 

1000 (blig blind) + 500 (small blind) + 1000 (you) + 1000 (p1) + 5000 (p2) = 8500

the next player would now have to pay 5000 in a pot of 8500 so to win 8500 pay 5000. Sounds much more expensive than 1000 in 4500 right?

• BUT WHY?! You want to protect your good cards against other players. If you make the price higher for them to play they are more likly to fold they're crap hand. So the chance of you winning increases the less players are involved with you! Thats why you should always raise your good hands and fold your bad ones!
  • FOLD It is said that you're making the most money in poker with folding! Dont play every crap hand with just calling someones minimum bet! If your hand is shit just fold! (Good starting hands are for example: High picture cards, QJ, QT,  KT, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, best in one colour ! Or suited connectore such as 78, 89, 56, 45 etc. Pairs AA, KK, QQ, ...., 22 and some more. You get the hang of it Wink

STEP 4 - FLOP, Turn, River

After the first betting round is completed the first 3 Cards will be layed from the dealer on the table. Thats called the FLOP. Now the remaining players will do their bets again. starting with the early positions and the last one is the dealer button!
If you were the aggressor pre Flop and not more than 2 players are involved in your hand and everyone checks to you. You should continue your aggression you did build up pre flop! Chances are high they are giving you credit and fold! If someone bets before you could do anything. think about your hand ranking and how strong it might be in comparison with other ones! if it might be strongest possible right now make a rerais!. if its shit just fold (folding earns and saves money Wink!

TURN

after the Flop bidding round the next single card will be dealt by the dealer and layed onto the table. Now everyone can do their bids again. Think about your possible hand ranking! Decide again is it shit or good? Is it possible to make a straight, flush, full house with your hand? Do you already have such a strong hand?

RIVER

The last dealt card is called the river again you can playce your last bids. Now there are 5 cards on the table and 2 in your hand. But you said every poker hand can only consist of 5 cards?! Thats right you choose the best 3 cards from the table and combine them with your 2 cards in the hand. 

SHOWDOWN

after the river and the final bidding round theres the showdown. Everyone still in the round has to show his cards and the best combination wins all the money!

Thats it basically. Poker is a game of knowledge and agression. If you play your good hands aggressive and  with reasonable patience, you will win in the long run over less aggressive players!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. Im happy to answer them Wink

See you at the tables! Smile

Fox
Welcome to the shard Fox and thanks for the poker guide!
My guide:

Join Game/Lose 20k/repeat til broke
thanks for guide....might finally learn how to play poker....from uo haha Smile