UO Lost Lands Forum

Full Version: Making Money as a new player with Tailoring (& learning razor macros)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all it takes a bit of set up. You need a full rune book to all tailors, and a rune book with all the sheep pens and cotton fields marked. You are talking a little over 2K in gold for two runebooks, 25 runes, and 25 mark scrolls, plus a fair amount of recall regs to hit the harvest spots (sheep pens & cotton fields), and all the sell spots (tailors). This guide isn’t about leveling tailoring, it’s about using tailoring to get the seed money necessary to get yourself established.

You can bypass the set up at first if you want. You can use the moon gates to bounce around. You can start in yew where 3 sheep pens exist, etc.  It really only takes a couple rounds of shearing sheep in yew, then moon gating to a city to form it into cloth and then fancy shirts. That will get you enough to make the two runebooks you’ll want.

The function itself isn’t complicated. You go to a rune library, and mark your tailor and sheep/cotton spots. You gather a pile of cotton and wool together. You use the spinning wheel to turn it into thread/yarn. You then use the thread/yarn to turn into fancy shirts. You repeat this a couple thousand times and you’ll have enough for that fancy Keep and regs for your 7xGM Mage. There’s 100 ways to get there, and all of them are fine. I’ll lay out one way here.

The first question we have to ask is why tailoring? Bowyers, smiths, tinkers are all trades that function similarly and produce wealth similarly. Well the simple reason is gathering time. It takes an hour to get 1500+ ingots harvested. You can harvest 3k+ wood in an hour. You can harvest 3K cloth in 10 minutes. Simply put you spend less “active” time gathering, which results in more time building your main characters. You harvest 2-3 times faster, but you can’t “harvest” continually like the others. That break is perfectly fine. The break you use to macro into cloth, and macro into shirts (passive not active time) on that character.  You can then use that 50 minutes out of every hour to read threads like this, build your main character, harvest wood for even more seed money, etc.

The second question is Sheep or Cotton? BOTH! Sheep spawn their wool every hour on the dot. You can set your watch by it. If you start your run and sheep have wool, set your timer. You are in control of the spawn, so you have the best chance of timing it exactly and getting the future wool spawns.  I personally like cotton fields. You don’t have to be that anal. They continue to spawn over time until the field reaches “full”. What this means is if you cleaned a field, and came back a half hour later there would be a good amount of cotton to pick. Don’t forget the cotton fields in deluccia either. Sheep if you come a half hour after the wool was harvested, there would be no wool available until the hour timer hits.

To Curate or not to Curate? The sheep spawn also benefits  from curating the flock. In the pens there might be half cows/ half sheep. Kill the cows. Trust me. You do this a couple times and there will be more sheep than cows. You do it enough times and it will be all sheep. You are maximizing the amount of wool per sheep pen. Unfortunately, you can’t really curate cotton fields (other than killing a few cows/chickens to get a couple sheep to spawn nearby). The short answer is to certainly curate the sheep pens. It’s quick and easy to dispatch the animals, but there is a point where it’s not worth it. If the pens only have one or two cows in them, I just leave them be, but that is up to you. It is best to curate at the beginning of the day. That way you know you’ll have several rounds of harvesting to max your benefit. You usually only have to curate once or twice a week, and everyone benefits.

Now we know why we tailor, and how we harvest. Let’s talk about the character. You need 50 magery to recall around. It’s an expensive skill to raise. You might as well buy it at creation and save yourself a lot of frustration/cost. The second skill is highly debatable.  50 tailor would be easy. 50 tinker isn’t bad either so you can make those sewing kits. Another trade like bow making (for the 50 minute down time period). I personally went with tinker/smithing. I did that specifically because I know my smith/tinker will be a smith/tinker/carpenter/smith/magery/mining/X all around crafting character.

The main reason we don’t “buy” tailoring at character creation is because the most profitable item is a mid-thirties skill creation (Fancy Shirt).  The second and very good reason to make a tailor is precisely because fancy shirt are the most profitable item. You can buy tailoring from a tailor and be making fancy shirts from the get go.

What about stats? I went heavy on STR and INT. More so INT because I find it much harder to raise. The first thing you should do is grab a shepherds crook and start herding. Cotton and wool is heavy. A pack full of fancy shirts is heavy. You’ll want that 100 strength to carry around all that stuff. You’ll be recalling quite often, and you’ll be doing it quite quickly once you get your routine down. You’ll want enough intelligence that you can make all your harvest/sell runs without stopping to catch your breath.

Hey, what if I want to take tailoring as a viable skill? I want to at least get 75 so I can make the carpentry add-ons? I likes me some tailoring BOD’s? Well you absolutely can. You will literally be making many thousands of items. Nobody says you have to make fancy shirts. Fancy shirts will get you to the mid 50’s easy. I did skirts for a while, and then onto robes to hit the 75+ area. The added benefit is you make a lot more exceptional fancy shirts (more cash per shirt) than I did at 55. Even if you don’t have a desire to keep the character, it still pays to get skill gains above 55, as each shirts potential value increases with every additional gain. Simply put, your fancy shirts will sell for more money if you advance the skill beyond the point fancy shirts give you skill gain. Those other items will still be profitable. They just won’t be ”as” profitable.

Last let’s talk about a few macros. You will HATE double clicking your dagger and then the sheep. Your first macro should be a sheep shearing macro. Go over to razor, click the macro tab, click new macro and name it shear, then hit record. Go over and double click the dagger, then flip back to razor and click “stop” on the macro. If there is a wait for target, right click and remove action. Now we have a macro, we need to be able to trigger it. We use hot keys for that. Go back to razor, and click the hot keys tab, click the + sign next to macros, go down and find the “shear” macro, then click the ` or tilde button on your keyboard, then click set. Now every time you click the ` (tilde) button a radial will pop up, and you can shear the sheep quickly with a lot less clicks.

Next let’s make our cotton gathering easier. It sucks to double click the cotton plant and then drag the bale of cotton to your pack. It isn’t as bad as sheep shearing manually but close. Make sure you have a bale of cotton in your pack (just go to a cotton farm and harvest one quick). Click over to razor, click on the agents tab, click to drop down and click on the “scavenger” agent. Click the add item button, and flip back into UO and target the bale of cotton. Finally switch back to the scavenger agent and enable it. Now instead of having to double click the plant and drag the cotton into your bag, you simply double click the plant and scavenger will pick it up for you and put it in your pack.

Now let’s talk about using macro’s to turn that cotton into cloth. Head to the nearest shop and locate a spinning wheel within distance of an upright loom. Stand in the middle of them so you can reach both. Double click the pile of cotton and click on the wheel. In about 3 seconds you should see 6 spools of thread show up in your inventory. Now let’s build our macro. Click over to razor, and click on macros, click new and name it “cloth cotton”. Hit record. Go back over to UO and double click cotton and the spinning wheel once (to start turning cotton into thread), then double click the thread followed by a click on the loom. Repeat the thread onto the loom function 5 more times. Basically each cotton produces 6 spools of thread, so we need to apply 6 spools of thread to the loom to keep pace. Now flip back over to Razor and click stop. On every “absolute” target, right click and choose special constructs, choose delay timer,  and put 1200 (1.2 seconds)in the box next to the delay  timer. You have to build in delays pretty frequently to let macro’s work. We basically are putting in a flat 1200 millisecond timer so our commands can execute appropriately with a  1.2 second delay. Lastly click loop, which causes the macro to run forever repeating itself. Now you can go grab a sandwich and come back to a back pack full of cotton. You can do the exact same thing with wool and ball of yarn. You will only produce 3 yarn per wool though, so you repeat the loom sequence 3 times instead of six.

Now that we have cloth, let’s make some shirts! Grab 4 or 5 sewing kits, and 800 cloth (100 shirts at 8 cloth per). Click razor, macros, new macro, name it shirt, click record. Go back to UO. Double click one of the sewing kits, click on the cloth, then keep on clicking the menu’s until you get the fancy shirt and click it. Flip back to razor and stop it. I can’t remember the delay timer amount (to let the creation cycle run fully) but you can start the special construct delay at 8,000 (8 seconds) and bring it down to get the right speed. The special construct delay should occur as the last line in the macro. Click the loop so it runs forever and it will keep running until it runs out of cloth or the sewing kit breaks. We don’t want to stop when the sewing kit breaks, we only want it to stop when we run out of cloth. The very first line in the macro is the sewing kit. Right click it, and choose “dclick by type”. What this is telling razor to do is use any sewing kit in the back pack, not that one specific kit. Now as long as you keep a few sewing kits on you, you never have to worry about sewing kits stopping the macro.

Lastly let’s unload all of these fething shirts messing up your backpack. Go to razor yet again, click on agents, and find the sell agent and choose it. click add item, switch back to UO and click on one of the shirts, switch back to razor, and enter an item count of 5. What this does is when you say “vendor sell” it will automatically sell 5 of those fancy shirts. Map  “vendor sell” to a hotkey (create macro that literally is you saying “vendor sell”, click on hot keys, open macros, and find your vendor sell macro and bind it to a key). Now you can sell 5 shirts with one click! Woo! The money is rolling in now! Just keep in mind after a few sell rounds, that tailor is going to lower his buy price, and you’ll want to move onto another tailor shop to sell the rest of your shirts hence the need for a tailors runebook (to maximize profit).

I almost forgot the herding macro. It uses items we identified earlier in macros. Create a macro called herd, click record, flip to UO, double click the crook, click a wild (gray) beast, then click yourself. Flip back to razor, click stop, add a 1.2 second delay (special construct), then click loop. Your strength will take off like a rocket.

So hopefully, you’ve learned:
  1. One way to make money in this game, and quite frankly all trades run about the same way, just different macro’s.
  2. How to think about stats, and their importance early on
  3. How amazingly useful razor can be
  4. How to create a macro in razor
  5. How to map hotkeys
  6. How to use scavenger agent
  7. How to find and use special constructs mainly the delay timer.
  8. How to use dclick by type special construct
  9. How to use a sell agent to unload all those shirts very quickly

All of the razor stuff will help you later on when you get your PVP characters built. Particularly binding hot keys… so take notice and make Razor your friend. Learning Razor will pay you back 10 fold or more over time. Play long enough and it gets to 100 fold, etc.
Great write-up as always. Glad to have you here.