UO Lost Lands Forum

Full Version: Intro to Ancient Smithing Hammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These aren't terribly common so I thought I would let everyone know what they do.

They're available as a bulk order deed reward:
https://uolostlands.com/bod-rewards/

There are five flavors of hammers, each giving a different bonus to your smithing skill: +5, +10, +15, +20, and +25.  Each hammer starts with 600 charges, and uses a charge each time you make something using the bonus.

To use the hammer, just equip it in your hand on your paperdoll and you can run your smithing macro normally, using whatever type of tool (tongs, etc.) you normally use.  The charges will decrement from the hammer automatically.  When the hammer reaches 0 charges, it disappears, so leave at least one charge on your hammer if you want to keep it for deco or something.

To see the effect of a given hammer, make sure the "Use T2A Styled Crafting" box is UNCHECKED and select the unfurled scroll icon to the right of an item after you double click your tongs.  This will show you your chance of success, your chance of getting an exceptional item, and the number of ingots used.  Select this icon WITHOUT the ancient hammer equipped to see your base chance for success/exceptional items, then equip the hammer and select the icon again. 

Even the lower hammers can provide a significant benefit.  Take halberds for example, the base chance for an exceptional item at GM skill is 76.8%, meaning about 3/4 of your halberds will be exceptional and you'll have to sort out the non-exceptionals (unless you're Luny in which case you just pass them off as exceptional...)

Equip a +15 hammer, by contrast, and you now have a 100% chance of making exceptional halberds.
I approve this guide.