everyone friends and farming with everyone

Skrap - Oct 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM
LOL

new york - Oct 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM
#truth

I've said that since UOSA
then people get mad at me for attacking people

Allow me to interpose. I love being left alone while playing but I always expect people to come at me while I'm grinding and rape my body, pets, and mounts. I have never taken the time to PVP so I got really good at running and hiding. I pride myself on my escapes of the past. I like that part of the game/era and that is one reason I play here: escaping or dying, it happens, and people should learn how to secure their house and important trinkets before leaving safety.  

Now that I'm an old fart with a family I have very limited play time. Is this your problem, not at all. Should you still grief me, yes you should. But please be mindful that each player has their own situation and try to take their play style in to account to determine when and how often you should interact with them.

My PVP ignorance only becomes an issue for me during holidays or special events. I often miss events and I rarely have time for TIs. When I do show up for a TI, if someone comes along to kill me, I leave or hide until gold drops; screw it, I don't need to help you progress a TI to get a payout. But a special/holiday event provides a very limited time where everyone has a chance to introduce new items in to the game. That is what makes each 'shard' different from any other; whether you appreciate the item or not. Every kill that each player makes is another chance to introduce a fun new shiny trammy toy. This also means that every time someone goes on a rampage and slows down the grinding, they in turn lower the chance of these toys being available at an IDOC, house break-in, or trade scam later down the road.

If you play solely to cause as much grief to the community (or know someone that does), no matter what their circumstance, then please post a response here so I know that when you're around I should just hide until the payout. If not, Happy Hunting!
Swunk, Coral, Pringles like this post
(10-27-2016, 08:58 PM)Fagabeefe Wrote:
Quote:new york - Oct 27, 2016 at 3:37 PM
lost lands has turned into trammel i feel like sometimes
everyone friends and farming with everyone

LOL

new york - Oct 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM
#truth

I've said that since UOSA
then people get mad at me for attacking people

You make a great deal of valid points. And I preface this with saying a non grief/pvp oriented community is often the best for server duration. Strictly pvp players are often horrible at retaining a long term community. The core group of dedicated players here is great at pushing the server forward and keeping it active. As it is without a doubt the most well done/contented t2a free server . 

However the the "everyone being friends" point is a valid assumption. Which is a very fine line between being excellent and problematic to certain play styles. Constant grief is not healthy for small populated UO servers and really should not have a place. However I always remain that UO thrives on angst, turmoil, and drama. These things make the game entertaining. Triump in overcoming this turmoil and redemption when falling victim are both invigorating feelings. 

Randomly pking folks that do not care to fight back is boring and not of much interest. However it's the push back most players are looking for. If I pk a couple players are they going to bring some friends and fight back ? Or maybe call in a couple friend more adept in pvp. 

My problem when I first came here was the fact individuals whom despised each other and created fun elsewhere were now friends and not challenging each other for resources or turf. There was massive potential for massive pvp and other playstyle action but people did not captialize. I'm sure everyone would be good friends if we met in real life. But kick it up a notch in game. If you don't give pvpers anyone to fight ,  they grief which is not good. Also not challenging the same 5 people that get all the wealth is not good for the server either.
Swunk, Pringles, Skrap And 1 others like this post
PVP needs a large community to be active and functional, otherwise it damages the shard. The only place you can challenge them is in the events mainly (unless you know where they live and the time they play). PVP will always suffer until we can manage to get 300+ players on at the same time.

If you want to kill a lot of people, hit all the UO polling sites with positive reviews, so people can find us. When you see a new person, help them get started. Most players will know within 2 hours of starting, if they will stick with it. Easing that first few hours with supplies, money, and knowledge will go a long way to building up ample supplies of deep pocketed blues to attack.

My first month here, I did TI’s with reds alongside me that didn’t attack once. Not once. The second month they started attacking, heh heh. Quite honestly, that’s about perfect. They let me build up a decent war chest. They let me get invested in the shard. Then they had their way with me. If we keep doing that, the shard will be just fine. If it’s a new name you’ve never seen cut them some slack for a while. Once the name becomes very familiar to you, take em out. They probably have some decent loot now.

Red’s are problematic at TI’s because you damage to move the TI forward. Red’s typically aren’t doing much to advance the TI, so once you clear out the blue’s it’s gonna be a good long while before the next stage hits. The other problem is TI’s are about the only place you can reliably find blues with some good loot, so the Red’s have an incentive to pop in about 2/3’s of the way through and clean your corpse.

The best way to combat Red’s at TI’s is to bank often and group up. It’s been that way for twenty years. There’s really no harm in recalling out every 15 minutes to bank. At least that way when they do come through you don’t lose much. Grouping up is really the best way though. Two good mages cross healing/curing each other can frustrate a red fairly easily, provided you are properly equipped for the encounter.

If the red’s are coming in pairs or groups, just GTFO, and check back in 15 minutes. They likely have their complete strategy all worked out. There is very little chance the blue you just met, and yourself can work out a winning tactic on the fly against better equipped foe’s that likely know exactly what the other guy is going to do next. Luck favors the bold is BS. Luck favors the prepared.
Skrap, Veranis, Swunk like this post
Thanks,

Varak - Bard/Mage
Skraps/New Yorks comments were mainly voiced towards former pvpers or pvp type players who have ceased fighting each other to claim pixels.

I disagree with population needing to be large for pvp fun. It takes 3 groups of 3-4 people to make pvp fun, the population could be 15 or 1500 and three groups that want to competitively group fight can make a server entertaining. The height of SA honestly there was only really 3 groups at a time, I remember sometimes 4 and sometimes the numbers were bigger but for the most part it was always 3 active groups. Thats all it takes for a fun healthy server. I can think of one server in particular right now with 500+ clients on at all times, literally no pvp whatsoever. Ive played server with 35 clients and great pvp activity. 

Its a mentality and mindset. Thats what this server has lacked and henceforth caused pvpers to resort to killing bards, which is ashame. Santorum/Always Strapped had a mentality that could make pvp fun for other pvpers. 

I have 8 total murders on 700+ day old accounts. If I have murderered a bard it was most likely an alt of someone I was trying to get to retaliate. Or I def didnt loot.

But yes New Yorks/Skrap comments are valid and a hindrance to certain populations and playstyles we do not retain or recruit as a server. However the fact everyone is "friends" is also a great thing keeping this strong niche community alive. I'm glad its here and I'm glad Jack gave us this gift.
Veranis and Swunk like this post